I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Crying over beauty

Situated high on the hills of L.A. rests the Getty Centre, a world-renowned complex of buildings that houses millions of dollars of art and sculpture. The views are breathtaking and the technical aspects of Richard Meier’s architectural design are astonishing.



Within the series of buildings on the property, lies a long and shallow fountain where birds land for a quick sip and children splash the water with their little hands.

After taking a tour of the grounds, I walk over to a set of tables and chairs beside the fountain for a break. I pull out my bottle of water and the muffin that has squished to half its size while inside my mitchell, and look around.

Then something happens.



My eyes well up with tears.

Being surrounded by this beautiful scenery makes me want to share it with someone. I want someone to see what I see and feel what I feel. But, I can't. There’s no one here with me. I am alone.

Normally, I enjoy doing everything by myself. I like to plan my own schedules, set my own timelines and not feel like I have someone running behind me, whining about how tired they are, wanting a break or asking when we're going to eat.

Not this time. This time I want to have someone to take part in this experience with me.

Knowing that I made the choice to be alone on this trip, I make no comforting comments to myself.

With a couple of swipes of my index finger, I wipe the tears from my eyes, take a few sips of water to rehydrate, and continue on with touring the museum.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Yeah, that happens to me on occasion too.

July 20, 2006 9:08 am  
Blogger S said...

Six, it was out of the blue. Must've been the water fountain that triggered something.

July 20, 2006 11:00 am  
Blogger Jake said...

Bring me next time! I won't even complain about a squishy muffin.

July 20, 2006 11:15 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

Or take me, if you don't mind a squishy muffin top. :)

July 20, 2006 12:40 pm  
Blogger alexsander said...

ahhh i know that feeling! I love the Getty such a beautiful place! thx for stopping by :P

July 20, 2006 4:52 pm  
Blogger S said...

Jake: I'd love to go back (someday) since The Getty Centre deserves a second look. Don't know when, though.

Six: My muffin was chocolate with chunks. Make of that what you will.

Alexsander: You're so right. It's easy to get taken back when you're there.

July 20, 2006 9:47 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I love the weepy overcome by beauty feeling. But I usually get that from nature, rarely from man made things.

July 23, 2006 11:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home