I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Love don't cost a thing

In her video for Love Don’t Cost A Thing, Jennifer Lopez cruises through the streets of Miami throwing things from her Aston Martin (Fendi purse), off her face (Gucci aviators), on her neck (Roberto Cavalli necklace), and off her back (a white fur coat that isn’t from her Sweetface line).

Apparently, the woman who has it all can strip it all away because money doesn’t matter when you have love.

Uh huh.

That must be the reason why she left behind a Bentley and Ben Affleck for a minivan and (her chulo of a husband) Marc Anthony.

Love and money always comes into conversations with those who have too much of one, not enough of another, or too little of both.

The bitches who have too much of both are smart enough to keep their mouths shut around the others who have too little.

**

As my friend and I finish watching a movie, we start to talk about a few things. Nothing in particular: family, work, etc. When the talk comes to love, she clams up. She doesn’t want to divulge the details of her love life, so she turns the tables on me.

“What about you?”

“What about me?”

“Have you ever been in love?”

“No. I’ve been in like... Love, never.”

“Isn’t love important to you?”

“No. Why?” I wrinkle my forehead and shrug my shoulders.

“Love makes you feel better. It…”

Immediately, I cut her off with the raising of my hand. I have no time for this lovey-dovey talk.

“There are other things in my life that come first. Love is way down the list.” I point downwards with my index finger.

She doesn’t believe anyone could be anti-love. I defend my position.

“Love don’t pay the bills.” My open palm is now a fist. I peel off a finger with each corresponding point I begin to make.

She looks at me.

“Love don’t put a roof over your head. Love don’t put food on the table. Love don’t clothe you and put shoes on your feet.”

From the look on her face, she’s surprised and feeling pity for me.

“God. You sound like you’d just give it up to the first person who comes up with the cash.”

“And?”

“You sound like a whore,” she volleys.

“At least I’m being honest,” I return with a spike.

**

Even though I'm a hopeless romantic, no one can melt the block of ice that is my heart with only love (and vice-versa). Do you see couples who are ecstatically happy and dead-ass broke? I don't. I'm not asking for millions, but just enough to pay my bills and have the occasional drink or night at the movies (which is a bloody fortune). If and when those two come together in one neat little package, then so will I.

Love don’t cost a thing? I'm not so sure. I may need some convincing to prove me wrong.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I completely agree. Better yet, let me win a small lottery (just enough to get rid of my debt) and then I won't need to worry if love can pay the bills because I'll be able to myself. Then I can focus on the love at hand.

(vs. love WITH hand, which I'm getting quite accustomed to)

sorry -- hope this doesn't offend your friends! ;)

July 14, 2006 10:02 am  
Blogger S said...

Six: Love at hand, not love with hand. Thanks for clarifying that.

July 14, 2006 5:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You cynical old hag. Love don't cost a thing and yes, "ain't nothing goin' on but the rent." No romance without finance. It occurs to me that you might be holding your heart hostage. Money's fine, I loves me some money but love is great, affection is pretty sweet too. Might i enquire if you got burned really bad? I can see that having your heart stepped on again was just too much and that your talents and drive to center stage from that point.

Now look I'm try to be deep on half a cup of coffee, gimmie a break here ;)
Cheers,
kb

July 15, 2006 9:41 am  
Blogger @beradadisini said...

Well, love is such an irrational stuff and it can't be proven ;p To me, it's OK to be a 'hopeless romantic', probably one day you'll be able to "love" someone and get the point of all these, and even if you don't; life goes on ...

July 15, 2006 12:29 pm  
Blogger S said...

KB: The point I was making is I can't hear people saying "Love is all I need to get by" because it ain't true.

And, yes, to your other questions.

Hanny: I'm sure it will happen someday... when I can afford to be in love.

July 15, 2006 2:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am "ecstatically happy and dead-ass broke" in love. No, I am not stupid and blinded by my own hopeless romanticism. No, this is not my first relationship (now where near). Yes, I am as surprised as hell that this happened.

Point is, I am in love with a person, not with a wallet. I worry about money, debts, etc., but this has nothing to do with him.

I'm telling you, it is far better to be in love and dead-ass poor, than alone and dead-ass poor.

C'mon, give love a chance.

July 16, 2006 9:29 pm  
Blogger яolэмodєl said...

funny how money chages situations

June 19, 2009 1:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home