I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Ditched for dinner and drinks

The day is bright and shining. The sun is out and there isn't a trace of rain in sight. The only clouds in the sky are the ones that resemble fluffy lambs. To make the most of the beautiful weather, I decide to spend most of the day indoors at the Museum of Natural History.

On my way there, I call X about our plans tonight. He's in a bit of a tizzy, but I brush it off - no one is like that for too long. Our plans are to meet later on in the night. I'm still not sure if we're having dinner and/or drinks. Still, I leave the matter in his hands. I already plan for everything and might as well take something off my plate.

The museum is filled with families and tourists, which is no surprise. When I pay for my entrance ticket, I flash my student card and shy smile and get in with a discount. I might as well use that card for something; it cost me enough money.

For the next several hours, I'm walking along, taking pictures and seeing variations of my family in numerous exhibitions. Even though humanity has progressed throughout the years, there are still quite a few people who resemble neanderthals.

There's a period where it feels like I'm in the same room as this hot couple. I don't think they're following me, but it feels like it. I'm pretty sure they think I'm following them, but that's not the case. At least, it wasn't the case. Part of me wants to think they'll ask me to come along with them on a night out of debauchery. The other part of me wants the same thing.

By the time I get out of there, I'm famished. I didn't have a proper lunch in the caf because their prices were outragous. Did they think they're Per Se, or something? No matter, I'm going out with X tonight. The food will be secondary, as the company will come first.

I pull out my phone and check for messages. There aren't any. I dial X's number and leave a message. I still don't know what time we're meeting at. Fuck, I don't even know where we're meeting.

On the A train I go, back to Mike's place to decompress and get ready for my night out. Lucky for me, Mike left his laptop in his living room; I check my e-mail. There aren't any messages. No matter, X will call.

My clothes were already chosen for the night, so I didn't need to spend additional time getting ready. All I need is a shower to freshen up and a brush with toothpaste to get minty in the oral department. All of this takes about 15 minutes.

For the next two-and-a-half hours, I wait. And, I wait. And, I wait some more.

I make another series of phone calls, but get voicemail. I check my voicemail, but there isn't anything. I log onto my hotmail, facebook and gmail accounts and there isn't anything there. Part of me wonders what's going on, and the other part of me hopes X died in an incredibly painful accident.

Not knowing what to do, I try my best to contain my anger and disappointment from being stood up and write X a message: I'm all dressed up with no where to go. I wonder if he'll get the passive-aggressive hint.

Because it's almost 10 p.m., I'm starving. I haven't eaten since lunchtime. Making the most of a negative situation, I grab my coat and umbrella and walk outside. It begins to rain by the time I step out of the building. Funny, but not funny, at all. It's like I'm living some colossal weather joke that no one laughs at.

I grab a slice of pizza, a sundae at McDonald's and make my way back to Mike's. The rain stops when I walk into the apartment. I'm still not laughing with the weather.

Mary is still watching TV and I sit down on the couch, opposite her. We talk for a bit and she notices how disappointed I am. It's true. I'm also drawn. I hate making plans only to have them fall apart, but I hate when other people make plans and don't follow through with them. They know I'm in town for three days, and they know one of the reasons I came down was for them. The mind only remembers what it wants to, I suppose.

I check my messages. There aren't any. Fine. I don't care, anymore. They're off my to-do list.

When Mike walks through the door, he makes me smile. He didn't ditch me. I regale him with my night and he listens. That's what I need right now. By the time everyone goes to bed, I fall asleep with a smile on my face. He didn't disappoint me like so many before him have.

11 Comments:

Blogger Naijadude said...

aww... I know how disappointed you would have been.. well atlleast you have someone else to make you smile....

Where are you visiting?? When are you coming back to Tdot??

June 02, 2008 11:22 am  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

That's pretty lame that you got stood up.

As a single person, you need to present yourself as a valuable commodity by demanding specific plans at least one day in advance. All this texting-at-the-last-minute shit just means you get turned into a backup plan rather than being the main plan, and devalues you as a product, sorta like student rush tickets at a play or something. That's my theory, at least.

Someone who can't get it together enough to figure out "Dinner at 8pm at 53rd & 9th" is too scattered to bother about. By demanding someone put a teensy effort into your date, it's just going to weed out these standing-you-up losers, don't you think?

June 02, 2008 2:06 pm  
Blogger Chris said...

Maybe you should require a non-refundable $500 deposit in advance. If they meet up, they get it back, if they don't, you keep it.

June 02, 2008 2:34 pm  
Blogger Adorable Girlfriend said...

I'll leave you a message. What should I say on it?

June 02, 2008 3:36 pm  
Blogger dit said...

These are the things that make some friends and others NOT! Take care and enjoy the city and your friends. Leave the others to their own demise. lol

June 02, 2008 5:48 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Minty fresh in the oral department...I like that. I think that anyone who turns you down, or doesn't follow through on promises, should have their "X" replaced with their REAL NAME. Now, that'd get 'em good.

June 02, 2008 7:26 pm  
Blogger TED said...

Yeah, DMcD has a point. If you pin people down with a specific time and location, a) they're less likely to flake on you, and b) they're more likely to feel that they have to call and cancel if they do. A lot of men are jerks, but guys who consistently get canceled on are doing something that says it's ok to walk on them.

June 03, 2008 10:30 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

TECHNICALLY.... you weren't ditched for dinner and drinks... it was dinner AND/OR drinks since X-hole didn't confirm what he was planning to ditch you for in the first place.

now, you'd better not ditch me in september.

June 03, 2008 11:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but getting stood up seems to be a re-occurring theme for you. So what's your damage that makes guys change their mind?

June 03, 2008 7:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is happening far too often, as far as i'm concerned.

let me do my bit here with a little PSA:

folks, this here blogger is a good guy. i met steven earlier this year and had a lovely visit!

quit ditching or get ready for bitching!

June 04, 2008 10:50 pm  
Blogger Christopher said...

Two words: "His loss!"

[Big Hugs...big enough to squeeze the pork-and-cheese outta ya...wink!]

June 05, 2008 5:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home