I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bustle butt

When getting off the morning train, there’s the rush of people who walk through the station to get to their jobs. Most of them wear the same uniform of a black overcoat and pants/skirt underneath. There’s the occasional formal suit, but they’re normally hidden.

Today, I see something I haven’t seen in a while. There’s a young man who exited the same train as I did and he’s wearing a light grey suit, made of a shiny material. It resembles those you find at International Clothiers, a guido-friendly chain that caters to the bridge-and-tunnel crowd.

The issue isn’t the suit, per se, but the fact he hasn’t removed the stitches that holds the slits on either side of the double-vents on the backside of his jacket. What happens is a bustle butt; a poufing of the fabric that’s commonly seen on prom dresses from the 1980’s. Those stitches are there to keep the flaps flat while being transported from manufacturer to seller.

It’s just as bad as those who keep their “Made in Italy” labels on their sleeves. Those are made to be removed, like the ones on your mattress. If you don’t remove them, it’s just like walking around with the price tag dangling from the seams.

I don’t know what to make of it, but I do know next time I see him, I’m going to run after him with a pair of scissors, grab the back of his jacket and snip those threads. I hope he doesn’t think I’m coming on to him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Don't you have a bustle booty yourself (without the jacket?)...I wish I did...le sigh!

May 14, 2008 2:23 pm  
Blogger Doghigh said...

Total pet peeve of mine - and I see it way more than I would expect living in NYC.

May 14, 2008 3:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home