I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Don't talk to me, I'm sleeping

The light comes through the top of the window and the small crack of the curtains, where the two side pants meet in the centre. Fuck. It’s morning. As much as I love staying in bed, I have to wake up. I’m not paid to sleep, but it’s hard to be alert at this ungodly hour.

Since my university days, my brain has been programmed to fall asleep around 2 a.m. and wake up at 10 a.m. It needs eight hours of sleep to function. Unfortunately, I need to wake up before 7 a.m. to be at work before 9 a.m. So, you can imagine how sleepy I am when I step past the threshold of the office.

While at work, I’m quiet for the first ½ hour even though I shouldn’t be. I have to interact with people. The words coming out of my mouth are mostly grunts. If someone asks me a question, I try to come up with a good response even though my brain is thinking about finding the nearest pillow so I can lay my head down and snooze for another hour.

And, I can't stand those people who are perky first thing in the morning. To paraphrase Dorothy Zbornack (a.k.a. Bea Arthur) in the Golden Girls, I just want to rub a grapefruit in their face. Hard. Really hard.

The only way I’m ever going to be a morning person is if my day starts around noon... and if I finish at 5 p.m.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am the same way... I have always said i would work 7 days a week if i could work 12 to 3 each day...

May 05, 2008 7:14 am  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

Buy a lightbox and use it for 15-30 minutes every morning while you have a cup of coffee. Your body clock will be reset to morning hours in about two days, and besides, coffee is deeeelicious!

May 05, 2008 9:43 am  
Blogger BRYAN AMBITION said...

and conversely, i need dorothy and the rest of the golden girls to wake me up...thank goodness for lifetime!

May 05, 2008 10:43 pm  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

I forgot to mention, the grapefruit line is a reference to a famous movie scene, actually, where James Cagney rubbed a grapefruit in a lady's face. Thanks to the Youtubes, you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4R5wZs8cxI

There, now you've learned something for the day. Don't you feel more smarterish?

May 06, 2008 10:09 am  
Blogger Doghigh said...

Begins at noon and ends at 5PM?

LOVE you!!!!

May 08, 2008 2:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT IS DEFINITLY ME.ONLY I WORK 11PM TO 7AM NOW SO ITS A TOTALY DIFFERNT WORLD. ANYWAY I LOVE THE DOROTHY LINE. YOU'VE GOT A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR.MAY GOLDEN GIRLS LIVE ON FOREVER.

May 10, 2008 1:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home