I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, April 25, 2008

To the person with a one-track life

Hey.

You don’t know me, but I know you. In fact, I think I know you pretty well. Or, I think I know you pretty well, because you've been changing into a completely different person from the one you were before.

When I first met you, you were interesting and had a lot to say. Your opinions were your own and not influenced by others. People liked to be around you because of the person that you were. You were a fully-functioning individual.

Then, something happened. You changed, and it wasn’t gradual.

You latched onto one thing and never stop talking about it. If you don't prattle incessantly about your incredibly hot boyfriend/girlfriend, then it's about your brilliant children, or your high-paying and amazing job, or the six-figure renovation you’re undergoing, or something else that makes everyone else secretly groan in their heads and roll their eyes behind your back.

It’s as if there is nothing else going on in your one-track life. Out of all of the things that make you one person, you end up being one-dimensional. And, if that isn’t enough, you’re rubbing your one-track life in the face of everyone else – you’re fabulous and they’re not.

You’re not fabulous, but annoying the fuck out of everyone.

Even if your one-track life is as good as you make it out to be, there is something left to be said about the person that you’ve become, and that is the person you were before you changed.

I’m not saying you should give up your newfound happiness, but to remember there are a lot of people who knew you when you were just as happy and a fully-functioning individual who wasn’t dependant on the validation of another. We liked you for the person that you are… or were, to be correct.

Best,
Steven.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sh@ney said...

Ewwwwe that stinks of arrogance babe & that is the biggest turn off...I would not have time for someone who changed so much as a person simply because circumstance improved in their favour. There is no need for it...

April 25, 2008 12:48 pm  
Blogger Dop T said...

you tell 'em, kid

April 27, 2008 12:59 pm  
Blogger Phronk said...

I wonder, when people latch onto one thing like this, if they're holding on so tight because it's what they really love, or if they're just clinging to one thing in a desperate last-ditch effort to find meaning and happiness in their life. Dunno if that applies here, but I think it does tend to happen.

April 28, 2008 12:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home