I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, April 14, 2008

I'm not talking about you, unless I am

One of the negatives of writing about your life is the other people who inevitably begin to filter their way into your stories. It’s difficult to refrain from talking about them, since you do associate with members of the human race and don’t reside in a cave situated in the Andes.

On more than one occasion, I’ve had people ask me if I was the person they were talking about in a certain story. Quite often, they’re not. They’re just being paranoid.

Whatever their reason is for paranoia is what makes me smirk. Are they really so egocentric to think everything is about them? Probably. Probably, not. I’m not their therapist.

If I ever write about a specific situation or conversation, I tell that person what I’m doing. If I’m feeling generous, I’ll send them an early draft of the story just to see their reaction. It’s usually positive, but if it isn’t, then I know to generalize some elements because I don’t want to tread on dangerous territory.

But, most of the time, I’m not writing about anyone in specific. The people I talk about are composites of several people I know - that’s what happens when your social circle is comprised of several hundred people.

Then again, there are times where I throw caution to the wind and write about someone I know without telling them. But when all else fails, remember this: I’m not talking about you, unless I am.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just use the phrase "you know who you are" when talking about someone. Might as well make the paranoids right for once.

The question is, do you tell everyone you meet that you have a blog?

April 14, 2008 2:05 am  
Blogger nash said...

You mean you aren't a cave dweller after all? I'll have to rethink our relationship now

April 14, 2008 9:37 am  
Blogger dit said...

Most often I tell them, "of course it's about you, everything I do is about you." lol

April 14, 2008 1:36 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

stop talking about me all the time, dammit! you know how shy i am.

April 14, 2008 3:15 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Here I've been away for two weeks with my family and come back to see that you've written about me. How flattering! Seriously, I've missed you and the rest of the blogosphere. Hope all is well.

April 14, 2008 8:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home