I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Ella puede asiprarlo

At the end of our department meeting, my (now former) boss starts to talk about her vacation to South America and how much fun she had. She turns her computer monitor around to show us a few of the photographs she was sent from her trip.

After a few minutes, she mentions an e-mail that one of her newfound friends wrote. She doesn’t understand Spanish and has no idea what the e-mails says. I mention Google Translation. The beauty of this online tool is that all she has to do is cut and paste the e-mail onto the translation page and wait for the Spanish-to-English conversion.

She looks confused, so I ask her to turn her monitor around a bit more so I could read the e-mail.

“It says he had a great time…” I begin to read. “He had fun… He hopes you enjoyed your time there…” My finger scrolls down the glass. “And, he also…,” I pause for a second. “I think he made a mistake there with his conjugation. What I think he means to say is he hopes you come back and visit, not he hopes to visit you when he comes back.”

The expression on my co-worker is one of surprise, while my boss doesn’t look impressed, probably thinking I’m showing off my linguistic skills.

“Oh, you didn’t know que yo hablo español? No hablo siempre, pero no necesito hablar español en el trabajo.” She should know I know how to speak Spanish since it is on my résumé.

Their faces are blank. They had no idea what I just said.

“I said that I don’t always need to speak Spanish because I don’t need to at work.”

“Oh,” says my boss as she quickly grabs the monitor and turns it around. Clearly, she’s not impressed that I can do another thing she can’t. She has a chip on her shoulder the size of Gibraltar because she decided not to go to University while all of her high school friends did. It still bothers her even after all these years when someone demonstrates knowledge of something she knows nothing about.

Why is she unimpressed that I can speak more than one language when she can barely speak English? I thought that was a plus, but as it turns out, it’s a minus at my work.

Ella puede asiprarlo for all I care, because I’m not going to start acting like I don’t know what I’m talking about so she can feel better about her stupidity.

6 Comments:

Blogger Doghigh said...

Not one of those types.

How has she managed to remain boss? Doesn't she alienate people by demonstrating that level of insecurity?

April 02, 2008 11:58 am  
Blogger Chris said...

Damn. I was hoping the email would have revealed something scandalous, like, "I didn't think you could hide an Adam's apple like that."

April 02, 2008 12:49 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Damn you and your foreign languages. Clearly, nobody notices what you put on your resume. I think I'll tell them all I speak Finnish.

April 02, 2008 1:52 pm  
Blogger Christopher said...

Every company has a Bitter Betty...just remember, your skill sets make you a much more valuable employee...and that has her scared!

April 02, 2008 3:03 pm  
Blogger BRYAN AMBITION said...

te amo, y me gusta tuyo blog!
xoox

April 02, 2008 5:31 pm  
Blogger dit said...

It is amazing what co-workers and or bosses are threatened by. Mine is hyper threatened about everything. As a result, I share very little and they are threatened by that as well.

April 02, 2008 6:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home