I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mixed messages text messages

From the moment that cell phones had the opportunity to leave short memos between two people (i.e. text messages), communication has been faltering to some degree.

It’s not the murder of grammar usage (u, r, and ttyl, being a few culprits), but the lack of sense they contain. How can a couple of words be deciphered in such a manner to be logical?

I had to learn this the hard way when I first met J because J is fond of texting, even though I am not. There were some texts I received at the start that made me scratch my head in confusion because I had no idea what they meant.

Safe trek home my friend!

I made it home alive and alone tonight. You should be proud. We going out next week?

Were they supposed to be friendly in nature? Flirty? Teasing? Cloying? What?

It wasn’t soon after when I began to understand what they meant. The reason for this comprehension was due to the fact that I was speaking to (not texting) J.

Of course, after a couple of months of back-and-forth texting, there are few times when words are misinterpreted (like when I mention the f-word – fat). But, that’s just a mixed message text message, like any other.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brettcajun said...

I haven't gone over my cell phone minutes in probably five years. I text far more than talk on the phone.

May 13, 2009 4:51 pm  
Blogger Cincinnati NAMjA said...

You are right to say that texting has changed the way that we communicate...but never fear. Though the written word, in some ways, has morphed into the aforementioned style, the classic way of communication will never die.

May 13, 2009 5:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home