I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Giving good phone

From prior experience, I consider myself skilled at giving good phone. I don’t call people too early in the day, or too late at night. When I do get a hold of someone, my attempts at making myself a sympathetic ear, and a vocalized sparring partner, makes the conversation both relaxed and exciting.

Like a combination of a blanket and a pitcher of margaritas.

So, you can imagine my surprise when I have two very uncomfortable phone calls in two days.

The first call is on a Sunday night. It consists of a bad connection, a few words between two people, and someone hanging up – and it wasn’t me.

The second call is on a Monday night. This time, after someone picks up, and after the initial awkward pleasantries, I am told that they are too busy with work (it was 8:30 p.m.) and should call another time. Click.

I’m a little ruffled. Have I lost my touch? I thought I gave good phone.

All of these issues are laid to rest when I get a call on Friday night. I almost don’t answer since I am no where near a phone. When I do, I am pleasantly surprised. The conversation varies, but my attention never does.

So, maybe all of this worrying was for naught. Maybe I do give good phone. Maybe I am a good conversationalist and storyteller. Maybe I should charge $3.99 a minute, and 99 cents each additional minute...

But, maybe it just depends on who is on the other side of the line. I may have had two bad calls this week, but all it takes is two good people to make it work.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you give 100% grade A phone. You can't blame yourself if you have a couple encounters with people who can't appreciate good phone when they get it!

August 25, 2005 1:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home