I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Mr. Manners

As I’m walking down the street, enjoying the sunshine of a warm summer day, something shocking happens. So shocking in fact, it leaves me at a loss for words.

A young punk approaches me while I’m waiting for the lights to change. From prior experience, he’s probably going to ask for directions or the time. Wrong.

“Hey, man, give me a dollar.” It isn’t a question. It’s a demand.

Excuse me? Did he just say what I think he just said? Oh, he better not have.

My jaw drops and my brow arches. Pardon my manners, but how fucking rude! Am I supposed to depart with my money just because you asked for it? Sorry, demanded it?

Normally, I give out money to people when they ask for it - politely. “Can you please spare some change?” is often said with a soft-spoken voice. You rummage through your pockets for whatever change you have, and they thank you just as you place some coins into their cupped hands.

With the world in such disarray, I consider this transaction as payment for politeness.

But this young man is singled out for a reason and the reason is this: Attitude.

Of course, it doesn’t help that his gold- and diamond-encrusted necklaces around his neck and designer clothes on his back is probably another reason for me to ignore his request for compensation.

Sorry, but I ain’t paying for your lavish lifestyle. Who do you think I am, Russell Simmons? ‘Cause you don’t look like Kimora Lee.

Hey, man, learn some fuckin' manners, I say in my head. But, by the time I want to say this to his face, I have already walked four blocks up the street.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could write a dissertation on this. I know we don't live in 'Leave it to Beaver' land, but people have lost common courtesy, much like your boss asking you to get up and 'fetch' her a newspaper not long ago, and then expecting you to pay for it. It makes me want to smack their parents. There is NO HOME TRAINING anymore. My son and my sisters boys learned to be polite. It wasn't beaten into them. It was shown to them and returned. I'm not bragging, but ALL 4 of them received compliments through the years from teachers, our adult friends and even strangers for their politeness. How hard is it to understand that if you show respect for others, it will be returned!?

August 22, 2005 2:06 pm  
Blogger S said...

If I didn't mind my manners as a kid, I'd get a whooping.

Ironic, isn't it?

August 22, 2005 6:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too Steven. Me too! We never hit the boys though. Not that we wouldn't have if they went WAY over the line, but we just never found the need.

August 22, 2005 10:40 pm  
Blogger S said...

Don't think he followed me because I would've heard his bling chinging in the distance.

August 24, 2005 3:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home