I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Going to the chapel

It’s spring. The weather is warmer. The flowers and grass are beginning to grow. It’s such a beautiful time of the year.

And, with the birth of spring, comes the blossoming of love… and weddings.

Most, if not all, of my friends are partnered, engaged, about to get married, or married. Being single, I don’t fit in any of those groups. And, I don’t really mind.

As much as I have nothing against marriage, or those who take the proverbial plunge, I find that marriage is not necessarily for everyone.

When I tell people that being a singleton works for me, they give me the sad face, coupled with the "Don't worry, you'll get married, soon" response, and a pat on the back for support.

Uh, there’s a reason why it's called an institution. People go crazy after a while.

True, the ceremony is lovely, but a marriage isn’t solely based on a church, white dress, diamond rings, a multi-course meal and an open bar. Love is important, but so is respect, trust, truth and compromise (amongst an endless list of criteria).

Not being a statistician, but why take part in something that has a rate of failure close to 60% in the US alone? Those are stats that no one wants to include on a final report. If you do want to talk about numbers, there is a study that shows that a cat can actually get almost 40% on a multiple-choice test simply by urinating on the answers.

So, a cat has as much success of doing well on a test by peeing on it as does a couple who marries (for the first time)?

Interesting.

If I would’ve known that a successful marriage is equivalent to a pissing contest, than I’d rather be single.

2 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Don't worry, you'll find someone. (wink)

June 12, 2006 12:46 pm  
Blogger S said...

I've got a dowry - a couple of chickens, a goat, sheep and a donkey - in case anyone is wondering.

June 13, 2006 3:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home