I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Ace of hearts

The cards have been dealt and the other player has placed their bet. You’ve placed your own. Two sets of poker faces are staring at each other. It’s time to show your hand, but you don’t. First, you take stock of possible outcomes.

Since bluffing isn't allowed in this game, you have two options: fold them, or hold them. If you quit, you may not have anything to gain. If you don't quit, you may not have anything to lose.

Sometimes your hand isn’t the greatest, but it’s just enough to take the prize. Other times, you’re not so lucky.

The fingers on your hand begin to quiver and small beads of sweat form around your hairline. The stress is showing. You know what you can offer and you want to show your hand.

But you don’t, fearing that it’s not enough to win. You admit defeat.

Your ace of hearts is protected, and don’t show it to the other player.

In the end, you don’t want to lose. But, sometimes you have to.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Huh. I have a shirt with Aces for sleeves. I've stopped wearing it. People kept using them for target pratice.


(get it?)

July 25, 2006 9:46 am  
Blogger S said...

Six: Hearts on sleeves, yes I get it.

I never wear mine... makes me look puffy.

July 25, 2006 10:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God I wish I had a nickel for every time I thought that. Being raised in Las Vegas my whole life's cliche's are based on gambling.
kb

July 25, 2006 11:34 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

Yeah ... you're puffy. And I'm the next GQ cover.

July 25, 2006 2:25 pm  
Blogger S said...

KB: Vegas? Damn, that's a lot of coin slots to throw your money down.

Six: It's water retention.

July 25, 2006 4:46 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

Heh. No one made an "ace in the hole" comment either ...

July 26, 2006 10:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home