I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Best Buy can suck my dick

Tuesday is the day when new music releases are placed on the shelves for traditional consumers to snatch up, instead of downloading them onto their hard drives.

Today, Christina Aguilera pops out her Back to Basics album. Thinking of sliding that shiny piece of plastic into my player makes me giddy. I am already singing Ain’t no other man on the way to Best Buy.

After bypassing the insipid greeter at the entrance, I find the CD, realize I can’t get the free t-shirt with purchase (and getting pissed in the process), buy it and take it home.

When I open the case, the CD falls out and I catch it mid-fall. The inside of the case is broken and there are small bits of plastic swimming around, ready to scratch the CD.

Ain’t no other man wouldn’t complain. But, I ain’t no other man.

Rushing back to the store, I bypass the same insipid greeter and go to customer service.

“Hi, I was wondering if you could help me with something,” I smile as I reach the counter. I begin to pull out the CD from the plastic bag and he cuts me off from saying anything else before I place it on the counter.

“I’m sorry I can’t return it because you opened it,” he quickly says.

“But I didn’t do anything to it,” I reply. As I carefully open the CD case, I try not to let the CD slide out and I catch the small pieces of plastic which litter the inside. “It was already like this when I bought it. I didn’t wreck it.”

“Uh huh. We can’t return it.”

I’m getting a little pissed. Is this what passes for customer service nowadays? “What would make it returnable?”

“Only if there’s a scratch on the CD,” he says, a little haughtily.

“I have to take two hours from my day to listen to 2 CDs to ensure they’re not scratched?”

He nods his head.

“Yeah.” The pissiness is rising inside me.

“So, even though I buy this a couple of hours ago, open it, see that the case is defective, have the CD fall out and almost get scratched. But, I can’t return it because it’s not the manufacturer’s fault."

There's a pause and static rising in the air.

“But, the only way to find out if it’s defective is by opening the package, and I can’t do that because then I can’t return it.”

I let this thought linger in the air.

“You know that doesn’t make any sense, right?” I look at him and cock my head to the side. The CD will get scratched in a few days after opening and closing the broken case.

He just stands there, with the same, vacant expression on his face.

“Ok, right.” I put the CD back in the bag and close it. “Thanks,” I say between clenched teeth and turn on my heel.

Driving home in a mad rush, I check their Web site to prove this customer service moron wrong.

Online, their policy clearly states that CDs are returnable with the original receipt and packaging. It says nothing about opened or unopened packages.

To back up my case, I call the support line and Chris (the unfortunate soul who has to hear my case) tells me I am right and should get a straight exchange. I ask him what to do if that doesn’t happen, and he tells me to ask for the manager and make a "stink" (his words, not mine).

Tomorrow, I am going back to Best Buy and I am so going to make a scene.

And, I want that customer service representative to be there when his manager tells him to suck my dick.

Ain’t no other man, it’s true.
Ain’t no other man, you’re screwed.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ooohhhh I hate that type of stuff... I once bought a CD adapter for my car... in a drunken stupor one night, I closed the door on the wire that connects cd player to cassette deck...having bought the extended warrenty to cover accidental breakage, I took it back to Best Buy where I was told that because I broke it, it was not covered...??? I mean that was the purpose of buying the coverage...I have a tenedancy to break things "accidently"...they did refund the purchase price of my warranty...good luck today!

August 16, 2006 6:51 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Those miserable bastards! Go get 'em!

August 16, 2006 7:12 am  
Blogger savante said...

You should make a stink! Get dirrrrrty! Christina would understand.

Paul

August 16, 2006 8:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you hate stupid people? I can't stand arbitrary rules and the people who blindly enforce them...even incorrectly.

August 16, 2006 9:52 am  
Blogger S said...

Kelly: I know it's only a CD, but I didn't break the friggin' thing (most of the cases in the store were cracked), so I should get an exchange.

Torn: Yes, yes I will get 'em.

Paul: Yes, yes I will get all dirrty on them.

Cookie: Why have a return policy that they don't deliver on?

Drives me nuts!

Jeff: Some places are more than welcome to return your stuff (I've worked at these places), but others...

I have the receipt, you saw me here two hours ago, I don't want money back, I just want an exchange.

Is that so hard?

August 16, 2006 12:28 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

In my younger, less honest days, I once bought a CD and hated it, so I scratched it, exchanged it, and then a few days later returned the unopened one for a refund.

Shame on Six.

August 16, 2006 2:55 pm  
Blogger Echomouse said...

Hey, thanks for the tip on the carpet question I had!

As for Best Buy, you are right to stick to your guns on this. I bought a set of DVDs for a tv show from Best Buy. When I opened it, all the dvds fell out and half were scratched. They were never secured inside the case! So I returned it. Because they didn't have anymore in stock, I got store credit in the form of a nifty plastic card with a balance on it. I used it up for odds and ends over the following months. You can get your money back or the credit thingy. That employee full of it.

God I hate retail employees sometimes.

August 16, 2006 10:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home