I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Cheeky monkey

Researchers have noted that children pick up a lot of information (from language skills to basic behaviours) within the first two years of their existence. Whether it's nature or nurture, they're not sure.

They're also not sure where children learn their sense of humour...

**

While keeping an eye on my niece, I must always be aware of what she’s doing. It’s not that she disappears into the ether (which has happened before), but she enjoys climbing miscellaneous objects and clinging off them like a monkey-in-training.

The last thing you want is to have a child fall and hurt themselves. Talk about negligence. Note to the wise, never turn your back on a wandering toddler.

Today, as I chase her around the back patio, I listen to her screech as she scoots from me. I make scary ooh-ooh noises as I let her outrun me in a circle.

“Who’s a monkey, huh? Who’s a monkey?” I ask her.

“Grandma,” replies my niece, a little too quickly.

I stop dead in my tracks and howl with laughter.

Out of the kitchen, my mother yells out, “I heard that!”

“I didn’t tell her to say that,” I say, doubling over in pain. “Honestly, I didn’t teach her to say that. You heard me, I didn’t prompt her!”

It seems that my niece (who isn't even two years old) is already developing her own sense of humour. Strangely enough, it's very similar to her smart-ass uncle's. Cheeky monkey.

God, my sister and BIL are going to be very disappointed when my niece learns about sarcasm.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tuna Girl said...

Oh, I love that story. Seeing a kid's sense of humor emerge is so great.

August 02, 2006 4:07 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

Nice.

Cheeky monkey. That sounds familiar ...

August 02, 2006 8:53 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

They say by 5 your personality is set. I wonder how genetic some parts of our personality are.

August 02, 2006 11:05 am  
Blogger S said...

TG: I'm afraid her personality might emerge like her uncle's.

Six: Yes, it does sound familiar.

Torn: I know my personality was developed via nurture, not nature.

August 02, 2006 1:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home