I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

It's an honour being nominated

During Oscar season, the nominated people do their rounds on various talk shows, hyping their projects, hoping for a little more exposure for the members of the Academy.

When it comes to the (dreaded) question on how badly they want to win the award, they always say, “It’s an honour being nominated,” while inside they’re thinking, I want that fucking statue.

For years, I have nominated people that I felt deserved recognition for their work (even recently - if you were wondering who nominated you, that was me). Whether or not others believed their work to be good is beside the point. In my eyes, they were winners.

Yet, I always feel a little sad that no one ever says anything about my work. It’s a little disheartening. Recognition is a sign of approval, like a nod of the head or a pat on the ass. True, I can nominate myself, but others think it’s very egotistical – some people do it all the time without any reprimands, though.

Someday, if someone ever does bestow a flicker of approval, I will lap up every ounce just in case it never comes again. Fuck, nominate me as the guy who nominates everybody else!

But it would be nice to be recognized, even once. If worse comes to worse, I’ll beg and bully for an award like the Weinstein brothers when they ran Miramax.

And, if I don’t win, I can always say that it was an honour being nominated.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I just nominated 2 people for some outstanding work. The committee called me up to ask more questions because I just provide "fluff" and no actual description. When I told her everything they had done, she said "Oh, so they were just doing their jobs?"

If I could have reached through the phone and bitch-slapped her, I would have.

August 01, 2006 8:57 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Only you can truly give yourself approval.

(Disclaimer:I'm full of great advice, but have great difficulty following it.)

August 01, 2006 9:51 am  
Blogger S said...

Six: I would nominate people who would (for example) learn how to use a staple-remover without damaging the paper.

When I got amazing ROI on a seven-figure project, I would get bupkus.

Sigh.

Torn: Yes, that's true, but I think it's weird patting myself on my ass.

August 01, 2006 10:20 am  
Blogger toobusyliving said...

I'm a pretty big approval whore.

August 01, 2006 5:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home