I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Your job is not your career

Whenever I hear of people just dropping everything to go on long trips, take extended leaves from their job or just goof around because they don’t want to work, I have to wonder if they have it any better than I do because they can leave whenever they want.

Then I realize the reason why they can do this: their jobs.

I’m sure it’s great to have a menial job in the service industry where responsibility doesn’t exist and can be passed onto the next person. Work a couple of days a week, party for the rest of the time. It’s perfect!

Only they’re not thinking about one thing: their future employer.

When I graduated, I was looking towards my future in the industry with my two degrees. I wasn’t looking for a job; I wanted a career. Why did I spend all that time in school if I wasn’t going to get something out of it (except student debt)?

Would you want to put on your CV that you were a server or in retail for the past five-to-ten years? If that’s what you want to do for your life, then go right ahead. If not, I’m sure your prospective employers will get a good chuckle after reading about your complete lack of experience on your CV.

Play the lottery, people. Only then will you have a better chance at making some money.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this gets me thinking. job is just a job? even though itz career still a job

March 19, 2010 7:57 pm  
Blogger Jeff C.-S. said...

but you knew what you wanted, if not a specific position certainly a specific industry. you saw something and worked towards it. not everyone has that clarity at a young age. for some of us it takes a good long while to figure it all out. in the meantime we spend time in places we hadn't planned on being and doing things we probably didn't think we would do.
although i haven't spent years in service or retail industry i don't have any interest in the industry i am in and i view my job as simply a job, not a career even though i am with a top corporation and getting decent compensation and benefits.
i am only now, at this "advanced" stage of my life, getting to the core of what i really am interested in - and finally pursuing it. everything before still has value to me, though, because without the set of experiences that came to me i wouldn't have arrived to where i am today.
i guess my point is that you are fortunate to have identified, pursued and achieved success in a career that you chose and have passion for - not everyone has been blessed the same.

March 25, 2010 1:03 pm  
Blogger JUSTIN said...

I take my service industry job seriously, and pick up any shifts when co-coworkers take a shift off so their "band" can tour. My resume may be marked, but seeing as I couldn't land another "office" type job to save my life, I could give a shit. And the money ain't bad either.

April 02, 2010 5:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home