I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Calling a bluff

Whether you have a solid hand, or just a moderate one, calling a bluff is a rather important tactic when playing games. Any game. From poker to people, the rules vary slightly, but the overall structure remains the same.

The same can be said when playing phone tag - PT. True, there are no cards on the table, but demonstrating a poker voice becomes imperative.

Being a master at playing PT, the method comes naturally: a set of numbers passes my way and I call their bluff by being the first one to call. Quite often I end up speaking to a machine. They, in turn, do the same. One message here, another there. Back and forth, back and forth.

Whatever. Same shit, different pile.

Knowing that I won’t be able to go to a party later on in the night, we play a little e-mail tag, or ET (a much more complicated concept, with varying rules and regulations – lots of bluffing ensues in a typical game), and settle on a game plan.

“Actually, I was thinking of calling tonight as a surprise, but that would be too cheesy,” I write.

“You know what's funny? I was thinking of calling you tonight from the bar... but I guess it's too cheesy. Oh well,” is the reply.

“Ok, fine. Nine o'clock.” I highly doubt the phone will ring at my house. This game is won.

While I’m not at home for the whole day, I check my messages seconds after I enter my house. There are two hang-ups and a rather annoying reminder from my mother – her fourth of the day.

Then, unexpectedly, the phone rings.

“Hi. Can I speak with Steven?”

Shit. My bluff was called and I lost.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I hate to say this Steven, but you work quite a lot, and even though going out throws off your groove a bit, you could probably use a night out to have a little fun! Even so, I have played that 'tag' game, on computer and phone, and sometimes...it really does stink to lose.

July 15, 2005 10:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home