I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Tit for tat

Reciprocity is an interesting word for which no one knows the meaning.

Well, they might know the meaning, but they certainly don’t know what it means.

Looking up the definition in the dictionary (courtesy of Canadian Oxford), the word reciprocity is the act or condition of being reciprocal – a.k.a. mutual.

In other words, tit for tat.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not describing some huge act. No way am I going to give you a liver after having you buy me a drink. Doesn’t work that way. I’m talking about the simplest and most basic sense of the word.

Call, or e-mail someone back after they’ve left you an (actual, not an I’m bored, what are you doing?) message. Offer someone a ride home when they’ve been your taxi for several outings. Carry a bag for them when they’re overburdened with several. Buy them a coffee when they’re pulling out their wallet. Little things.

Yet, sometimes, people aren’t able to act on the simplest form of the word.

What does it take for reciprocity to take place? Who takes the first step? Does it have to be you? Do you have to reciprocate after someone does something for you? If you do, do you expect something back from them? If you don’t, do you seem like the biggest asshole who takes advantage of others?

I don’t know.

All I know is that I was always taught to do onto others as they would do onto you.

Which means, dinner and drinks are on you…

8 Comments:

Blogger S said...

For a good meal, I'd even wash your car.

August 29, 2005 10:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steven, if I'd known in school that you washed cars for meals we would have become much better friends - pipecleaners, play-doh and centrepieces, centrepieces, centrepeices aside :)

August 30, 2005 8:54 am  
Blogger S said...

Anonymous, you have no idea how much you made me laugh and creeped me out.

Must get the image of centrepieces out of my head...

August 30, 2005 9:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't mean to creep you out - I just remembered the pipe cleaners all of a sudden and then a wash of memories. I couldn't stop it - on my desk though I have a thoughtfully laid out, thematically relevant, not too big or too small centrepiece. Nah - THAT would be creepy. You know - the one thing our Christmas party didn't have - was centrepieces. No wonder we didn't do any better... now you've got three guess as to who this is. :p

August 30, 2005 12:29 pm  
Blogger S said...

I have three chances to get wrong, right?

And, why were you thinking about pipecleaners, anyway?

Is your day THAT boring?

August 30, 2005 7:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck, I'd buy you dinner and you wouldn't have to reciprocate at all! You just bring the centerpiece. (Now THAT could be a dangerous statement, since I don't really know what you're talking about, lol!)

August 30, 2005 10:38 pm  
Blogger S said...

You know what? I have no idea what I'm talking about, either.

August 31, 2005 1:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell yes my day is that boring.

August 31, 2005 9:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home