I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Customer service disservices customers

Normally, taking the time out of my day to spend it talking on the phone is something I like to do to free me from logical thought.

Of course, this means nothing when the other person on the line is a customer service representative. Logical thought smashes through the window, and crashes on the ground below.

Not that I have anything against them, mind you.

In the past, I have worked as a customer service rep. I know what they have to go through. The customer is always right and you're always wrong. Well, not me, because I always told the customers where to go - with a smile, naturally.

But, I was a very good at what I did. And, that is why I always ended up servicing those who were never satisfied.

Make sure they get exactly what they want, was my motto.

It seems this motto doesn't apply to everyone.

While on the phone with customer service, I ask Maria the state of my situation. Everything she says negates the other phone call I made to customer service the day before.

"That's not right," I say. "I was told something completely different." I am defiant. I was right and she was wrong. But, Maria doesn't think so.

"That's what the computer says," she answers.

"Well, the computer is wrong."

There's tension. Maria doesn't like my attitude. In her self-rightous beliefs, she's accusing me of error. To me, that's the same thing as calling me stupid. And, don't call me stupid, lady.

Fine. I'll work around your data processing errors. Before I hang up, I ask one final, simple question.

"I'm sorry sir, but I can't understand what you're saying," she says with mock apology. This must be how she makes others feel inadequate about their intelligence.

"Oh, it must be because I'm on a cell phone. Bad reception..." I say as I rub my hand over my forehead. I repeat what I just said.

"I'm sorry sir, but I can't understand what you're saying." Her tone is more insincere. I explain my problem, again. The fire is rising and the heat is burning my neck and shoulders.

"I'm sorry sir, but I can't understand what you're saying," she stifles a giggle.

That does it.

She can't understand? She can't fucking understand? What is she, some ESL student from Guatamala? And, what the fuck is she doing at a call centre?

Without screaming at her, I repeat the same sentence. Slowly. Very, very slowly. If this woman can't process this, than I am going to ask for someone else - her supervisor.

That is, before I find her, and strangle her with the phone cord, and beat her over the head with the handset.

But, I give up by telling her it's all right and that things will sort themselves out. Bitch is smirking at her desk, I think. She thinks she's smarter than I am, but only an idiot would think that.

Thankfully, I hang up.

The customer is always right, I say in my head to convince myself that I'm not wrong.

ARGH! Is this what passes for customer service? If so, forget I asked for your help.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I betcha she'd have understood you if you said "Look, you incompetent bitch...since I obviously have to do your job for you..."! I could go on about this subject for DAYS! It's not as if this happens rarely. It seems to be the rule rather than the exception anymore!

September 02, 2005 2:11 pm  
Blogger S said...

Screaming at her would make me feel better, but it wouldn't change anything.

Some people are truly incompetent with any kind of work.

September 02, 2005 11:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here here!!! My favorite is being on hold for 3 days with the phone company, while their little recording tells you how important your business is, with them. Not quite the same, but, how about being charged if you miss your Dr's appt., but no adjustment is made to your bill when you have to wait 45 min. for your appt. because they schedule them a negative four minutes apart?!!!

September 08, 2005 9:05 pm  
Blogger S said...

I've never had a problem with the doctor's office.

But the, "Your call is important to us, please stay on the line..." drives me crazy!!

September 10, 2005 8:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home