I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

The emancipation of me-me

Emancipation – freeing someone from the control of another.

Me-me – a name so nice, I wrote it twice.

With the release of her new album, Mariah Carey has received flack over its title. What does she have to be emancipated about? She is the most successful, female entertainer in the history of music, with over 150 million albums sold. She is powerful and still (relatively) young. She has more money than several billion people.

And don’t get me started on that voice…

When someone like her feels emancipated only after achieving phenomenal success, how do you think that makes me feel?

I’ll tell you.

It makes me feel shitty.

Not being someone who hasn’t stepped foot in Mimi’s shoes (although I imagine they’re high-heeled and sexy), I feel like I have so much further to go before having a semblance of freedom. With freedom comes happiness. And, who doesn’t want to be happy?

Mariah took fifteen years to be happy. I don’t have that much time.

To do that, it’s important to think smaller - much smaller - in terms of accomplishments. Work at a normal job and make a (half-) decent living. Have a group of friends who I enjoy their company. Pretend that crazy woman and the fat man, yelling at me in the mall, aren’t my parents.

Small steps.

Because if it isn't for the minutia, me-me won't get emancipated in any shape or form for the time being.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one feel that you have WAY more than enough talent. And I'm sure your tits are lovely, too.

September 08, 2005 9:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're wise to take baby steps. Those high heeled shoes are hard to walk in! LOL! Believe me, I definitely don't have the tits, and I never could walk in heels.

Sure, we all want to be happy and emancipated, but I'm beginning to think unless you're filthy rich, that only happens when you're so old that everyone who wants to control you, has given up the ghost. By then, you're too darn old to appreciate your freedom!

September 08, 2005 10:07 pm  
Blogger S said...

Just in case anyone else reads the comments...

I originally wrote about Mimi's talent and tits - I don't have much of one or the other.

But, neither did she before 2003.

And, yes, mine are quite lovely, too.

September 08, 2005 10:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, hahaha! I commented based on the original post, not even realizing it had been edited! Even in light of editing, I still don't have the tits, or the ability to walk in heels (wink!)! I'm sure your tits are quite lovey, and have been for MUCH longer than the past 2 years...not to mention that they didn't require a mental breakdown, and surgery to achieve!

September 09, 2005 3:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home