I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Because I can

In My Life, the memoirs of former President of the United States, Bill Clinton, there were a few pages devoted to his (sexual) relationship with former intern, Monica Lewinsky.

Heading to the point (pun intended), the reason he gave why he had this affair was simple: because he could.

It was his position of power that allowed him to let an impressionable (and incredibly naïve) girl to get down on her knees and spit polish the Presidential knob.

Although I am not Bill Clinton, I do understand his position. And, no, I am not talking about having someone hunched over my lap, practicing oral citations.

What I’m referring to is being in a position of (relative) power.

Due to my current employment situation, I now can do one thing that I was never able to do when I was “competing” for a position with the company: I can say no.

Why? Because I can.

Whenever there were jobs that others didn’t want to complete, or didn’t have time to complete, it was my job to smile, nod and say I have all the time in the world to do their work. Pretty much, it’s the life of every junior employee.

Now, on the other hand, when someone asks me to do something I don’t want to do, I say no. This can be from doing their work, to agreeing on a position that someone believes is the right answer (it usually isn’t).

It may be hallow in the overall picture of my employment situation, but that feeling of power – however relative it is - is indescribable.

I’ve got them by the balls, although for once, I’d rather have that situation reversed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

No.

March 20, 2006 10:21 pm  
Blogger S said...

No, I get to say it.

March 21, 2006 2:26 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

Well then, I guess my only other option is to say YES.

March 22, 2006 8:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home