I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Eye contact

Ever since I was young, I was taught it wasn’t nice to stare. It’s rude and disrespectful, especially to elders and those of higher social and economic stature.

Unfortunately, my lidded eyes and high levels of concentration appears as if I'm burning a hole through someone. I can’t help it. It’s part of my face. If you don’t like it, blame Jesus and genetics.

People sometimes believe I’m participating in a staring match, and that’s not the case. A staring match demonstrates domination over others, and I’d rather demonstrate domination with my scathing words.

Recently, when talking to someone, I wanted to look up into their eyes, but couldn’t. At least, not initially.

When I’d look up, the other set of eyes were focused on mine. They made me feel uncomfortable because they wanted to scratch the surface, and I wasn’t ready to let anyone get near the polished veneer.

This was about forming a connection. Unfortunately, the signs that were leading me the right way, I read as roadblocks because of what I was taught.

When do you look up? When do you look down? Should you look to the side? What about their forehead, their mouths, their hair, their ears?

I don’t know.

Wouldn’t it just be easier if I was blind? At least I wouldn’t have to worry about eye contact.

5 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

I think eye contact shows respect, amoung other things. DO IT!

October 10, 2006 10:00 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

Yeah, some people you can look at ... some you can't.

October 10, 2006 10:01 am  
Blogger S said...

Indy: Yeah, I guess.

Six: Ditto (from above).

October 10, 2006 4:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't make eye contact either when I'm talking to people. If they think it's disrespectful, then that's their problem.

I pay just as much attention by NOT making eye contace as I do making eye contact.

You do what makes you the most comfortable.

October 10, 2006 7:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a terrible thought (shudder), I would rather be deaf than blind

May 22, 2007 3:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home