I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Dead man working

In the beginning, it starts with a case of sniffle that quickly turns into PND (post-nasal drip). It’s slightly annoying, because I’m always acting like a Hoover, inhaling as deeply as I can to avoid any drops falling on the reports. If I don’t do that, I tilt my head back, resulting in me looking like a human Pez dispenser.

As the day drags on at a snail’s pace, my head begins to thump, like a gentle baseline with no rhythm. The sinuses are draining and filling at the same time. It’s painful. No amount of Tylenol Extra Strength can numb the sensation.

The voice that I once thought was irritating, is now Kathleen Turner-esque. It’s throatier, coarser, rougher. Coughing makes my insides burn; not only my chest, but stomach and heart. Whenever I expunge air, it feels like part of my lung will escape. I guess that’s why you put your hand in front of your mouth just in case anything falls out.

The joints in my body creak and my muscles are stiff (in the bad way). Moving is difficult. Writing e-mails to your friends becomes a chore since your fingers crack with every click on the keyboard.

My eyes burn and are watery. I can’t stop crying, except when I need to have them moisturized, then they’re dry. My lips are puffy and expand to twice their size, cracking and bleeding to the point where I don’t need lipstick for any colour.

So, why am I complaining? It’s because I’m working and pretending (not very convincingly) I’m fine when everyone knows I shouldn’t be here, potentially infecting the other employees. But, they’re paying me to work, not cough, sneeze, wheeze and whine for eight hours.

Ugh. It’s days like these when I wish I was dead. Kill me. Kill me, now.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you not have sick or personal days that would enable you to take off? If not, then shame on your employer. You need to be home resting - for your health and for others health.

Employers do not want to face the fact that productivity is ultimately lowered when they encourage people to come to work sick. That person is not productive and he/she often causes others to be sick, multiplying the problem.

I hope you are feeling better soon, Steven!

January 25, 2007 6:07 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Poor baby. Call in sick! And get well soon.

January 25, 2007 6:54 am  
Blogger Pablo said...

Yeah, I would totally be avoiding you if we worked together.

January 25, 2007 10:05 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

BANG.


Dang, missed.

January 25, 2007 10:37 am  
Blogger Pablo said...

Oh, I forgot to say feel better soon. I'm very rude.

January 25, 2007 11:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good god honey! It's time for drugs and lots of 'em. No dairy [milk, cream, ice cream or wheat after 6 pm]. I will personally see to your alcohol 'rub downs'.
Nurse Diesel is in.
kb
Feel better baby

January 25, 2007 12:14 pm  
Blogger Timmy said...

dude, you should NOT be at work.

I would make you go home if you worked with me.

January 25, 2007 1:57 pm  
Blogger jetboy747 said...

I sent you something. I hope it makes you feel better.

Depends on the US postal service when you actually receive it.

January 25, 2007 9:50 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Maybe a total body rubdown by a hunk would help? Can I volunteer...even without being a hunk?

January 26, 2007 2:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Christ, you big queen, suck it up and get over it. Work is MUCH more important than being sick...

*kisses*

January 27, 2007 12:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home