I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, January 22, 2010

You deserve better

Even though I am not a person who believes in a lot of metaphysical hoo-ha, I have recently been chanting a mantra to myself whenever I‘m feeling a low and need a boost of self-esteem.

You deserve better. You deserve better than that. You deserve better. Period.

The reason why it doesn’t sound like a Stuart Smalley-kind of “You’re special” mantra is I know I’m special; everyone is special in their own way. I need something more. I know I am loved, I know I have friends, I know I am an intelligent person with things to offer.

I know when things are down, they’re down for a reason. I have to hit the bottom to see the view towards the sky.

Even if there are others who appear to have it all, I need to remind myself I deserve better, not more; a matter of quality over quantity.

If I lose something, I deserve to find something better. If I miss out on an opportunity, I deserve to get a better one. If someone leaves me, I deserve a better person in my life. If an ex has moved onto another victim, I deserve the right to know karma will bite them really hard, right in their flabby ass.

Why? I deserve better. I deserve better than that. Period.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are two quotes from Maya Angelou that I feel sum up the "i deserve more" ideals of our lives:

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

and:

"I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it."

Cliches exist because they're true. Some may find them trite, but I find comfort in them.

Hope you're doing well, long lost friend

January 22, 2010 12:47 am  
Anonymous Miguel said...

S and Kevin....that was just the lift I needed from what has turned out to be a downright depressing week for me and I thank you both. Like you said S, I'm at the bottom, looking up and trying to see the sky.

It may sound slightly selfish, but it is comforting to know that others do get these feelings of inadequecy from time to time. And sometimes it's just that acknowledgement that helps lift you and you see the light through the trees.

I've got an un-opened book by Maya Angelou gathering dust on my bookshelf. Maybe that book will occupy my weekend.

Take care.

January 22, 2010 4:23 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Always! Always better. I couldn't agree more.

January 22, 2010 5:42 pm  
Anonymous Jake said...

LOVE the last line.

January 22, 2010 11:22 pm  
Blogger Marquis said...

If it gets you through the day and the pain then say it loud. I can't tell you how many quotes or saying I recite on a daily bases. In the end they are for my own personal enpowerment.

January 23, 2010 12:30 pm  
Blogger Dean Grey said...

S!

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders!

-Dean

February 07, 2010 9:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home