I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Alone for the holidays

The holidays are a time for family and friends. People come together to celebrate the one time of the year where everything is made and designed to put a smile on the face of each and every person.

But, sometimes not everyone has a reason to celebrate. Even with over six billion people in the world, they feel alone because they’re single during the holidays.

A friend of the family has just separated from her husband (and is in the process of divorcing him) and this is the first time in almost 20 years that she will spend without him. It can be depressing, even for the most self-sufficient of people.

I’ll admit to feeling that pang of loneliness during this season. There’s no one there doing those cute and romantic things for me, buying a gift and wrapping it up because I saw it in a store window, and cuddling under a blanket while the snow falls outside.

My sister tells me she was alone for five years while studying for her medical degree. There was no one there. She didn’t have any roommates and family lived an hour away. There were friends, but most – if not all of them – were fellow students and also in the same situation.

I know I’m not the only person in the world who has gone though the same thing. I understand what she went through. And my case wasn’t the most extreme; there are no divorce proceedings or children involved.

Still, even with all the family and friends around, wishing you a merry Christmas, it would be nice to have someone there to make you feel just a little bit extra special because that’s something you can’t buy in a store.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cincinnati NAMjA said...

I know exactly how you feel. I am battling the same thing. My family is preety much non existant and I have one true friend, who I seem to be in still in love with....crazy I know.

December 31, 2009 9:44 am  
Blogger Single Guy said...

Mate. I hear ya..hence I went to e with the family. Holidays are about love!

January 08, 2010 8:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home