I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Buying a Christmas present for my mother

It’s the time of year I dread the most because of what I have to do for some people. It’s not about favours, but favourite things. Yes, it’s the time for holiday shopping.

It’s easier shopping for my father than for my mother. He really doesn’t need anything and he’s appreciative of any little gift he receives. For her, it’s different.

I ask her what she wants and, as usual, she says, “Nothing.” After a little pushing, she tells me she would like a nightgown. Another one. It’s not like she doesn’t have a dresser full of them she never wears. In fact, the ones she does wear are so threadbare they border on sheer. But, I leave it alone and follow up with a series of questions because there are thousands of options in the marketplace.

“Do you want it long, short, with sleeves, without, two pieces, one, a dressing gown, cotton, polyester, silk, colours...?” I keep on going and see she’s rolling her eyes at me.

“Just buy me a nightgown.”

“Fine.” It’s not going to be easy. Me, on the other hand, is the type of person who will give you the size, colour, shape, price, and location within the store of what to get me. If it’s something I want/need, then I will be exact. I’d rather not anything at all then get something I don’t want and will, in fact, end up being useless to me and wasteful.

In the end, I’m saving everyone a lot of time and energy. But, when it comes to my mother, I’ll probably just get her a gift certificate to save me the hassle. She can be so picky.

4 Comments:

Blogger A Lewis said...

You've explained quite clearly why we gave up exchanging presents with anyone years ago. Exactly for the reasons you've outlined.

December 14, 2009 10:38 am  
Blogger Ryan said...

I think what your Mom is saying is that she would like you to go to Lane Bryant and buy her a long, with sleeves, one piece, 75% cotton, no lace, light colored nightgown. Or two. It'll be like 19 bucks. But I could be wrong.

December 14, 2009 2:04 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

If your mom were like mine, they you could just wrap something from their house and give it - and she'd think it was new.

Or, a day or 2 later, just call her and ask how she liked your present even though you never gave anything to her...

Ahhhh, Alzheimers.

December 14, 2009 11:28 pm  
Blogger Julia Harpston said...

Hey,

Been reading your blog for a good few months now, you’ve really an inspiration to people like me! I’ve created my own blog about Gifts for mother and stuff about great gifts and great mother’s. Id be really appreciate if I could get a message back and also if you could link to my blog http://greatgiftsformother.blogspot.com/ - the name of the blog is Gifts for mother
thanks,
your inspire me :-D

December 21, 2009 9:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home