I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Soft loft profile

While skimming through one of the city’s free weekly papers, I come across a page that’s profiling the owner of a loft, not too far away from my own. It’s decorated nicely, with attention paid to the smallest of details. And it’s expensive.

As I scan the images, I see the guy in the article. I know him. He has a position that is almost the same as mine and he works at a national lifestyle company. And, he’s younger than me. By a few years.

How the hell did he ever achieve all of this by this age? No one can do that. Against my better judgement, I clock it off as a reason of money (i.e. not his own, but his parents’) that got him where he is because no one can buy a place like that with a low five-figure salary.

After that moment of clarity, I fold the paper in half and promptly recycle it. It’s a depressing news day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Boyd and Lloyd said...

So it was kinda like a very bad alumni magazine? I know the feeling.

Anyways, don't let it get to you. One day, you'll have a place just like his. Maybe even better.

Love,
Boyd

December 02, 2009 7:50 am  
Blogger Matt Swift said...

I've found that usually happens because either:
a) He lived with his parents for WAY too long while saving for the downpayment.
b) He's hooked up with a wealthy old man.
c) He has had no life, and saved every penny to pay for the place.

December 03, 2009 7:03 am  
Blogger JUSTIN said...

I had similar feelings of envy before, but now I'm all about shedding, rather than gaining new possessions, or things that would tie me down.

December 10, 2009 1:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home