I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, January 04, 2010

New years, eh!

New years isn’t one of the most happiest times for me because there’s more undue pressure to have an amazing time on the day that projects the theme for the following year.

And it sucks ass when you’re single and don’t have any plans on the “most important day of the year.”

I bring this up with J and we start to talk about December 31. After a rather nasty breakup, he’s also single and doesn’t have any plans. I ask if he wants to cross the border and spend it in Toronto with me. Two singletons - commiserating together - sounds like a wonderful way to spend the night.

At first, I think it’s a novel idea, but as the day approaches, I start to get a little anxious. What will we do? What will we talk about? Will we be bored after 10 minutes? I invited him to come down, so I better try to entertain him (thankfully, booze helps a lot with this).

By the time J arrives, two friends are leaving after passing by for a pre-party drink. We find a spot for his car and make my way to the loft. After spending 15 seconds of showing him around, we sit down on the sofa and I start the night off with a drink.

We talk for a couple of hours with the TV on in the background and don’t realize how fast time is flying. It’s 10 to midnight and we don’t even notice the crowds in New York’s Times Square starting to go batshit over the ball dropping. The bottle of bubbly is popped and we ring in the new year.

Then, it gets interesting.

As I skim through my PVR, J notices I have Mamma Mia recorded. We end up watching it and make plenty of comments over Pierce Brosnan’s vocal prowess (he won’t be gracing the stage of a Broadway musical or winning any Grammy awards in the future).

When the movie ends, we see it’s getting late; there’s no point in staying up all night. It's 3 a.m. after all. We get ready for bed and talk for a little while before falling asleep. The next morning, we lounge around as the snow falls outside. It’s picturesque.

Whatever expectations I made up in my head about how it was all going to go down quickly disappeared. I didn’t have to get dressed, I didn’t have to leave the loft, and I got to spend it with someone I like. It was definitely one of the better ways I ever got to ring in the new year.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cincinnati NAMjA said...

You sound like me on NYE. I did not have quite a low key night as you, but I did make reservations at a restaraunt with 3 other friends, then walked over to Cincinnati's Fountain Square to ring in the New Year. I was in bed by 12:30am.

January 04, 2010 8:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pierce Brosnan should go on Triple Sensation! Haha :)

January 04, 2010 12:01 pm  
Blogger Adam said...

Very good.

January 04, 2010 3:05 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

Happy New Year...

You need a disclaimer - "J" is not "Crazy" - you had me worried for a minute

Mamma Mia... Mamma Disaster! Meryl and Pierce - thank god for the mute button.

January 05, 2010 10:23 am  
Blogger Brand New W said...

"We talk for a couple of hours with the TV on in the background and don’t realize how fast time is flying."

Hmm now that sounds familliar! Am i detecting a pattern here?

omg that's so weird cause I pulled out my Mamma Mia DVD two nights ago and watched it! I haven't seen it since it was in the theatres and I was loving every minute!!!

January 06, 2010 8:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home