I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Old dog, new trick

Since it’s Valentine’s Day, I decide it’s best to spread a little of myself around to those in need of a loving pick me up. I like to give. Others like to receive. It’s win-win.

In between meetings, I call my mother to wish her a Happy Valentine’s day.

"Hi, Ma. Happy Valentine's Day," I say when she answers after the fourth ring.

"Oh, thank you."

"I bet dad didn't even call you today, right?"

“Do you know your father called me this morning to wish me a Happy Valentine’s Day?” She’s surprised.

“Dad? You mean my dad?” I’m confused. My father doesn’t have a romantic bone in his body. No, that bone doesn’t count.

“Yes. He was all giddy that he remembered…” her voice trails off.

Whoa. What?

My father never gave my mother a Valentine’s card (or a birthday one, for that matter), so I am a little taken aback that he put some effort into today’s phone call. Maybe this old dog has learned a new trick.

“Of course, your sister was listening to the phone call," she begins to laugh. "She said the reason why he’s being sweet is because he probably bought something expensive and wants to soften the blow by being nice to me.”

Ok, now I understand why he called my mother to wish her a HVD.

Human nature has taught us it is better to give than to receive. My father, on the other hand, has twisted this saying to his advantage. He will give to others, and then he will give to himself. Talk about win-win.

Apparently, this new trick was learned by a sly dog.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Oh I always make sure when I "give" to others, I also "give" to myself.

February 16, 2006 8:07 am  
Blogger jjd said...

smart dad

February 16, 2006 4:15 pm  
Blogger S said...

No one was more surprised than me.

February 16, 2006 11:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home