I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

R.S.V.P. (pt. 1)

Except for junk mail and bills, I quite enjoy receiving all kinds of mail. Whether it be the newspaper, magazine, a letter or a card (these come much less frequently), I get a little giddy with anticipation. The feeling of pulling apart the plastic sheeting, or slicing though the paper with a knife, gets me high.

That is, unless there’s an invite included in the pile.

Knowing that I will go to an opening of an envelope, some people believe that gives them carte blanche to invite me to all sorts of events: sales, openings, closings, etc. What they don’t know is although I may be easy, that doesn’t mean I’m not picky.

Imagine my surprise when I find an invite to someone’s wedding in the mail. What’s surprising is I have no idea why this person invited me to their wedding.

I haven’t spoken to the groom in over 15 years (the last time I saw him was at my sister’s wedding and that was only because his parents forced my sister to invite him and his brother since they would be crushed if he didn’t come – la famiglia has to stick together). I have never met the bride and couldn’t pick her out from a police line-up. And, I have a closer relationship with my hairstylist (who, ironically, is his aunt) than I do with the groom.

Without really looking at the date or my schedule, I say I’m not coming.

Apparently, it doesn’t matter what I say, because my decision has already been made for me – by family. I’m going.

Period...

4 Comments:

Blogger millicent56 said...

Hi..
I understand what u meant when u were invited to a wedding that you don't even knw e person..
back here in asia.. u see this all the time in the wedding.. well that jst want to get mre red packets thats all.. well that's life.. ;)

January 25, 2006 12:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's the family when you need them to make decisions for you, that you're having trouble with? is what I wanna know.

You know, the kinda decisions where they kick in money. At least, I've heard that happens, to some people, some times.

And, don't listen to whatsthebuzz,and bite the bullet. That's hell on your dental work. :-)

January 25, 2006 8:37 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

Well, if you need to bring a date ...

;)

January 26, 2006 12:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way sixshooter thinks

January 26, 2006 8:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home