I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I don't heart you

Walking through the main doors of Wal-Mart, I am bombarded with the colour red. Shelves stocked with every permutation of cards, chocolates and miscellaneous lovey-dovey crap.

I love you. I heart you. I love you. I heart you.

This underhanded blackmail is the true meaning of love according to the marketing department of mega retailers.

They're telling the world if someone doesn't give you a card, a box of chocolates and a dozen roses, you're not loved.

Really?

What happens if someone doesn't show up at your door with these aforementioned affirmations of their affection? What then?

I tell my father about my experience and he says it's a man's responsibility to buy something for the love of his life - ironic since he never bought anything for my mother after almost 40 years of marriage - for Valentine's Day.

When I ask him what happens if "love" isn't waiting at the door, he responds with a shrug.

Clearly, my father is a romantic.

Although it would be nice to have someone offer me a little sumthin' sumthin' for Valentine's Day, I won't be sad if it doesn't happen. Believe me, there won't be a box of tissues and DVDs of sappy movies to keep me company.

Who cares if no one hearts me on Valentine's Day?

I don't heart you, either.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

if you heart yourself too much ... you'll go blind

February 07, 2006 11:58 pm  
Blogger ash said...

Maybe I shouldn't point this out but...didn't this post have a completely different title before? Something about hearting yourself? And I'm sure there was no mention of "loving yourself blind" when I read the post this morning...at least until after six shooter made the joke.

Cause now the joke makes no sense either.
I'm just saying....

February 08, 2006 6:21 pm  
Blogger S said...

You are correct, Ash.

I never liked the ending (and the original title was called I don't heart you).

Later, I changed the title, the ending, then changed both of them, again.

And, I may change them again since I am still not happy with the result.

February 08, 2006 10:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just heart myself enough to have to wear glasses.

February 08, 2006 10:46 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

Hey ... yeah .. now my joke makes no sense. Thanks a lot!

February 09, 2006 8:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home