I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, April 28, 2006

From cute to creepy

Recently, I did something considered to be a thoughtful gesture. It was done with the best of intentions – no ulterior motives. Now, as I’m looking back on it, I’m having doubts whether the recipient would feel the same way.

It wasn’t anything bad, mind you.

There were no pet bunnies being boiled in a pot, no ice pick used to slash away at a block of frozen water, no faux sexual harassment lawsuit designed to draw attention away from a faulty tech product being launched into the market.

This isn’t a Michael Douglas movie.

But, when does it cross the line? When does it go from cute to creepy?

A little note is sweet. A little note written in blood is scary. Longing for someone from afar is romantic. Longing someone from afar because of a restraining order is unsettling.

There are so many ways to cross that vaguely defined line. Personally, I think it comes down to two things: Should you tell them in advance and ruin the surprise? Should you not do anything and ruin the possibility of making someone’s day a little bit better?

Either way, there is no clear-cut answer.

So, while this conundrum rolls around in my mind, I’m going to have some rabbit for dinner, with a side of scotch rocks, and a little litigation for dessert.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Surprises are fun. You just need to make sure that you know how your surprise will fit into the other person's life and responsibilities.

If it's a gift, there shouldn't be a problem. If you show up on his doorstep with 4 suitcases in tow, and he's headed out of town for a month, that might get a little awkward.

April 28, 2006 8:32 am  
Blogger toobusyliving said...

Scotch and Lapin sounds great, but I always enjoy a "side" of Schadenfreude.

April 28, 2006 9:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fava beans and Chianti sound just a good my dear.

;)
kb

April 28, 2006 11:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home