I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Casual Fridays

In most work environments, the dress code has shifted back to professional work attire (jackets, shirts and ties), instead of the early-90’s schlubby appearance made popular by younger, hipper upstart tech companies.

But, there is a concession with casual Fridays where the ties loosen up like the invisible noose hanging over desks from Monday to Thursday.

Wanting to know what are the sartorial parameters for casual Friday, I ask and get the same answers: jeans, t-shirts, the clothes must be clean and have no objectionable language, and shorts are a no-no.

On Friday, I walk into the office with an oom-sa oom-sa oom-sa oom-sa beat in my head, wearing a black cap, a fitted, black t-shirt, low-rise jeans, and a pair of club shoes.

As I look around, I see that no one is wearing jeans and t-shirts. Ditto with the cap and funky footwear.

The men are wearing their ties looser, and the women are wearing cardigans over their frilly tops. Did they forget the memo? This is casual Friday, not cardigan Friday, right?

While everyone in the office looks like they’re about to go to brunch with the family, I look like I’m about to hit the clubs for a night of drinking and dancing (I’d rather do that Tuesday afternoon).

Sitting down at my desk, I pretend to busy myself while looking up to see whether the noose is still hanging above my work station.

4 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

It always amazes me how there is a dress code even if the employees have no interaction with the public. Who cares what you wear in that case.

I resist wearing ties, but have to in some of my work environments. Definitely a noose.

June 16, 2006 8:23 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

I don't mind the shirts and ties ... in fact I have a few that I really love. But give me jeans and I'll bend over backward (or forward) for you.

June 16, 2006 8:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's still there honey. You'll just look much more fashionable dangling from yours than anyone else.
kb

June 16, 2006 12:09 pm  
Blogger S said...

Torn: Although I'd rather wear a suit for an event, I worked at a place where it was advised that we keep a suit in the office just in case a crazy client comes in for an emergency meeting.

Never happened. Ever.

Six: I don't mind dressing up, but the upkeep of ironing shirts is a pain in the ass.

KB: It's all about the accessories, right?

Brian: I'd love to wear all black (very slimming), but I'm afraid I'd stand out even more.

June 17, 2006 8:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home