I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Famous anonymity

Recently, while perusing the Web, I came across one person’s request of asking visitors to pass along the site’s address to X amount of friends to spread the word and increase readership.

An interesting request, but I couldn’t help but wonder why.

Do they get something in return when they hit a magic number? Money? Awards? Do balloons and streamers fall from the ceiling when it happens?

Personally, I think the reason is one of fame and recognition. The more “readers” shown on their stat counter (always conveniently placed near the top of the main page), the more justified they feel for their online existence.

“One million visitors! One freakin' million. Yeah, suck on that! I'm more popular than you!"

And, as we all know, if you're popular, you're loved.

Congratulations! You have a million visitors. So, what’s next? Two million? Ten million? A billion? And, do visitors really mean anything? Will you be any more famous than the people who visit your site? And, if you wanted to be famous, why wouldn't you use this achievement to accomplish something else in your life? Technically, that would make you even more famous, if that's what you're after. It worked for Angelina Jolie, right? She's even more famous after using her celebrity - and sexiness - for causes other than her own.

Personally, I don't do this for fame.

Lord knows I get paid millions of dollars from Hollywood studios not to star in any of their films, and I’m living with my famous anonymity. And, if I have to have one more offer of not recording a multi-platinum, Grammy-winning album, or write the next zillion-selling DaVinci Code, so that someone else can feel better about themselves, than so be it.

I don’t need fame to justify my existence.

I’ve got my eight readers to do that.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guy who has the very popular 2oceans blog in Cape Town recently bought a Ferrari and an exclusive number plate that cost more that the basic annual salary of most workers, so there must be a way to make money from bloging!

September 26, 2007 2:42 am  
Blogger Chris said...

Well it's certainly not with Adsense. Me, I made and incredible $45.00 in just twelve months! The money is trickling in at an incredible rate!

September 26, 2007 8:06 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

i am proud to be among the few, the proud, the gang of eight!

btw, who are you again?

September 26, 2007 10:37 am  
Blogger Bobby Vanquish said...

Am I part of the eight or does it rise to nine?

September 26, 2007 11:30 am  
Blogger seeking said...

count me in on that special group of 8!

September 26, 2007 2:01 pm  
Blogger Rebel Yankee said...

PLease. It's so obvious that you're jealous of me.

September 26, 2007 3:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

8 readers ....relly ???!!! Wow * you gota be kidding right? * readers..........ok now I'm jealous. :(

September 26, 2007 5:41 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

Personally, i think sometimes it's just nice to know that there is someone out there who cares enough to come visit your blog and see what you are up to, and to take the time out to type up some lame ass comment like this. :)

September 26, 2007 6:14 pm  
Blogger nikki said...

i make nine.

and for the record, there's a recent study stating the girth of one's readership directly corresponds with his penis length. the conversion table states one inch = one million readers.

looks like you've got some work to do, luv. i can attest nobody has much use for a penis .000000000000000001 inches long.

September 26, 2007 9:29 pm  
Blogger S said...

I should've said that I don't want to be famous, but I think that those who ask for fame should use it for the greater good (unlike some A-listers).

Paris, can you hear me...?

September 26, 2007 10:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All depends on why one blogs. Some keep the momentum of creativity and humor and faaabulousness way up and suddenly they have an audience. When they have a biiig audience, they might be able to sell advertising in some way.

But unless that's your natural inclination, or you simply intend to make a blog that attracts thousands a day so that you can sell ads, then the specific numbers don't begin to mean a whole lot.

And yeah, if suddenly your words or face are reaching a lot of folks, it'd be nice to use that to help make a positive difference in the world.

September 27, 2007 3:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home