I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Smarty pants

Do you remember the kid in primary school who always raised his/her hand whenever the teacher asked a question? You know, the chubby one with the baggy sweater, elasticized pants, bad hair, and funny teeth? Yeah, that’s the one. This kid had the answers to everything, and had a snappy remark for those who talked back - the smarty pants of the class.

As the years pass, this kid tones up, replaces the baggy sweater for a fitted one, the pants turn into flat fronts, the hair is tamed with product, the teeth are fixed with braces, but is the consummate know-it-all.

In a matter of words, the kid is me.

From a young age, my parents always told me that if I didn’t know the answer, I’d better keep quiet. Because I didn't like to stay silent, I took that as a matter of initiative to learn. Any bit of information, trivia, details, I could get a hold of, I memorized. If anyone wanted an answer to something, I’d have it. Snarkiness was left to the uninitiated.

To this day, I don't want to be caught off guard with a fact or statistic. I want to know everything. A nightmare would be to have me on Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? see some 10-year-old kick my ass with their knowledge of world capitals, and have that yokel of a host laugh at me with the studio audience.

Who wants to look like a dummy?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd tear those pants off of you, smarty.

September 13, 2007 7:32 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Man, what trouble could we get in with that pointy cap. I kept my mouth shut too.....because I didn't want to CONSTANTLY have my hand in the air....I always knew the answers but was taught to never be a show-off and let others go first. So, I sat there, quietly (most of the time). Just watching, waiting.

September 13, 2007 9:41 am  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

That would have been me, also, but I never wore elastized pants. (Although I probably could have used them at the time.)

Around 7th grade I finally realized it was possible to know the answer and NOT raise my hand, and it made a world of difference. (If I'd been smarter I would have realized this sooner.) Nobody likes a smartypants.

September 13, 2007 10:54 am  
Blogger the cat's meow said...

nice pic tho' my fave is the 4AM one. ;-)

September 13, 2007 3:29 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

you spelled it wrong.

September 13, 2007 7:23 pm  
Blogger Christopher said...

Hmmm....that pic looks very familiar...I must be on your mind...as you're on mine!

September 13, 2007 8:27 pm  
Blogger S said...

RT: That's the point. Har di har har.

September 13, 2007 11:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home