I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, September 07, 2007

I'm not an alcoholic, I just like to drink

In order to deal with an addiction, many people join a 12-step recovery group. The first step is admitting one has a serious, uncontrollable problem.

Surely, there are millions of people who suffer from a wide form of addictive behaviours, but not all of them are bad. One’s neurotic cleaning habit is another’s heroin.

Although I have a few quirks that may bother some (being organized can be such a burden for the messy), I will probably never admit to being a boozer. Why? It doesn’t rule my life, I can live without it, and the only person who is ever affected is me.

I’m not an alcoholic, I just like to drink.

True, my morning coffee doesn’t taste right without Bailey’s or Kahlúa, and there are days where I need to have a pick-me-up before noon, but that doesn’t mean I have a problem. I like the taste of some alcoholic beverages, and I know when enough is enough. Two drinks a week is nothing compared with some people who have two a day.

But, even though I have a sense of modicum when it comes to alcohol, I hope I don’t turn into those 1950’s housewives who had nothing else better to do with their day then scoot Mabel out of the house after coffee so she can make herself a martini with a gimlet chaser to help ease the pain of wearing Dior’s “New Look” while maintaining her plastic-covered home in pristine condition for her hard-working husband, like a deranged version of the Ozzie and Harriett show.

That’s the scariest thing of all, and it’s something I just can’t admit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I like to drink too, except that my personality tends to morph if I have too much too soon. "Fucking Bastard" is what I call him.

I love that you are so consistent with your blogging. Keep it up!

September 07, 2007 9:13 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

I don't have a drinking problem either. Sure I drink a lot of vodka, but only because I love olives. And I probably have 50 bottles of red wine, but only because I love steak and italian food - and white just doesn't cut it.

When I drink, I rarely spill any. I certainly never attempt to take a sip and miss my mouth, so no problem there.

And when I stumble after drinking, perhaps start slurring my words, it is not a drinking problem. I look at it as a heightened coordination problem. The drinking just keeps me from feeling bad about those physical challenges.

September 07, 2007 9:54 am  
Blogger Brand New W said...

despite being a cheap asian drunk, i am a total alkie. i drank way too much last weekend and ended up getting the flu from the weakened immune system i managed to create for myself. being sick when it's sunny out is not fun, so i've given up drinking...for now. no seriously...

September 08, 2007 10:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home