I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Complimentary compliments

Whenever someone is about to throw a sucker punch, your body reacts in a manner that is reactive, especially if the hit is out of the blue. The eyes close, the mouth tightens, the head turns and the body pulls back.

My body reacts the same way when someone gives me a compliment. It makes me cringe on the inside and visibly wince on the outside.

I have never been one to take compliments well. I know what and when I do well. If someone tells me I didn’t fuck up, then I know I did a good job. Compliments about my appearance are even worse. I know when I look presentable, and when I don’t. I own a mirror, and my mirror doesn’t lie (unlike people).

Compliments are supposed to make you feel good, but they don’t have the same effect on me. It may sound twisted, but from my experience, it makes perfect sense because compliments always mean something else.

When I was young, I used to tell my mom she was pretty when I wanted something. It didn’t always work when she was walking around in her nightshirt with her bedhead, but it was worth a try. Unfortunately, my mother could always see through the crap and didn’t like the smell of it.

She knew there was another motive behind my words. And, in turn, she taught me the same thing. Plain and simple.

Now, I am aware and my crap-o-meter is always on high alert, verifying whether there’s a stench in the air. When I wince, I’ll know the reason why is because someone sucker-punched me with a compliment.

8 Comments:

Blogger Salem said...

Serves you right!

Um. I mean: Well done, handsome.

August 29, 2007 11:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch!

August 30, 2007 12:08 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

you are an incredibly gifted and talented writer with a flair for adding a slightly humorous edge.

take that! and try to figure out what my ulterior motive is!

August 30, 2007 5:28 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

cute and sexy picture (and i don't want anything in return)

August 30, 2007 7:04 am  
Blogger the cat's meow said...

well, you like nice today (compared to all the other days) ;-P

August 30, 2007 11:22 am  
Blogger Chris said...

I know exactly how you feel. I'm not used to compliments, so I have my own "crap-o-meter". The New York model is the best one around.

August 30, 2007 2:10 pm  
Blogger S said...

Chris: Is the NYC crap-o-meter is better than the Toronto one? LOL.

August 30, 2007 7:26 pm  
Blogger about a boy said...

compliments bounce off me. or maybe roll off me is more like it. i dont know how to take them.

August 30, 2007 8:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home