I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Second chances

Not too long ago, a friend of mine got married and had a baby. What’s different about this fairy tale is that it’s her second marriage and her second child.

There’s also J, who fell in love and recently got engaged. The last year was rough for him: He’s had issues with employment, health, relationships, and housing.

Things are looking up for the both of them. What’s surprising about these two examples are their ages: neither of them are in their 20’s. In fact, one is in their late 30’s while the other in their 40’s.

While they had their ups and downs, they persevered. There were good and bad times and they lived through them. And, they give me hope that someday I’ll have a second (or twentieth) chance at happiness.

If it can happen to them, then why not me? And if it happens to me, do I have to wait anther 10-15 years for it to happen? God, I bloody well hope not. I can't pretend to be 25 forever.

Note: Lest we forget the anniversary of this date.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I know what you mean. I had mostly downs and crap luck until I was 28, then things changed. I only had my first relationship at 28, too. Things take time. The important thing that I've learned is not to dwell on the past or feel sorry for yourself. I think that creates negative energy. Not that you should go around with a fake smile on your face, but don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes it helps to just say, "fuck it."

Thank you for using YMAL Mental Health Services. The cost for this session is $325.65.

September 11, 2007 8:59 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

you can pretend to be 25 as long as you want... we, on the other hand, get to talk about you as you walk around wearing depends...

September 11, 2007 5:01 pm  
Blogger madamerouge said...

do I have to wait anther 10-15 years for it to happen?

This is possible. Make the most of your twenties... it doesn't get any easier in your thirties (take it from me).

"We don't get unlimited chances to be happy." That was either Dr. Phil or Grey's Anatomy... can't remember which. And then there's Edna Krabappel from The Simpsons: "grab on to someone warm and don't let go!"

September 12, 2007 11:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home