I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Mirror, mirror on the wall

For all intensive purposes, a mirror is a piece of glass with a shiny, reflective surface (usually, a form of silver) on its back. It elicits the same outcome when looking into one: a reflection.

So, is it strange when people look into one, they're looking at something completely different than what's standing in front of it?

These people can be divided into four groups:

- The person who is unattractive and knows they are
- The person who is attractive and thinks they aren’t
- The person who is unattractive and thinks they aren’t
- The person who is attractive and knows they are

I’ve known (and know) people who fall into each one of these categories. Although the psychological/psychosocial reasons of their thought processes are complicated, the underlying reasons are usually quite simple.

The first group realize their mirrors tell the truth and that every pore and pimple is a part of their lives. They’re not pessimists, but realists. They don’t die by the mirror, but live for the day.

The second group typically suffers from a form of body dysmorphic disorder. The world tells them what they should look like, and they react by doing what is expected of them, even if they surpass beauty standards. Their minds tell them they’re never pretty enough, even if their mirrors already do.

The third group is delusional. Due to a history of compliments (usually from CSRs at commission-driven stores), their self-esteem reaches an unnatural high, leading them to believe they’re beautiful, without realizing, “You look really hot in that!” means I make money the more stuff I sell you.

The fourth know they’re beautiful, act like they’re beautiful, and tell anyone with a set of working ears they’re beautiful. They're hated by everyone. Being around them makes you homicidal, and the only reason you don’t kill them is because you know the law is harsher on people who are unattractive.

How can one simple action cause such a complex reaction? Who knows.

Maybe these people just need some Windex to clear up any confusion.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A marvelous post! I loved the insight and the commentary. In particular I loved the line about wanting to kill those in the fourth group but being prevented by the thought that the law is harsher on those that are unattractive.

I had a chuckle with that, but then was saddened because it is true. So also is the corporate world. Studies have shown that taller, more attractive people are given the positions over shorter, less attractive but more qualified candidates.

No wonder we want to kill them. although most of us would like to be them in an instant.

January 26, 2007 6:12 am  
Blogger Timmy said...

insightful, I wonder which one I am.

January 26, 2007 8:15 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

I know which ONE I am.

January 26, 2007 9:52 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

What a great post. But, don't see your personal admission of which group you're in? Or which one you think I'm in, for that matter. I love your insight and humor. We're off on our cruise tonight...see today's post. See you when we return. Cheers.

January 26, 2007 2:07 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Well, I waffle considerably between one and two. Sigh. Can't we all just be okay in our skin?

January 26, 2007 6:58 pm  
Blogger madamerouge said...

fifth group: person who looks in mirror, and breaks it

January 26, 2007 11:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why I only have one mirror in the house, and I only use it to place my contacts on my eyes.

Mirrors are works of evil, and tell lies.

January 27, 2007 12:54 am  
Blogger Earl said...

Attraction is relative. I think people confuse themselves about that. I've met many an ugly beauty and plenty of beautiful uglies.

January 27, 2007 3:30 pm  
Blogger Sh@ney said...

LOL...A girlfriend of mine thought she was so hideous to look at she pasted a picture of some glam/covergirl's face on her mirror & has never had an ugly moment since...:P

January 28, 2007 9:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An interesting post. Not sure I think you can group everyone into one of those categories, though. I think it's probably more of a spectrum.

January 28, 2007 5:56 pm  
Blogger Single Guy said...

I think I fall under the category of people who think they are not attractive but who others tell they are....the mirror does not make me feel better though.

January 28, 2007 11:28 pm  
Blogger about a boy said...

i second 'not so single guy.' the mirror doesnt always make me feel better.

January 29, 2007 1:44 pm  
Blogger brenton said...

I think i'd be number two but people probably think i'm #4

January 29, 2007 4:06 pm  
Blogger Jason said...

You'll never guess which one I am.

January 31, 2007 4:50 pm  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Very interesting. How can I tell which one is me? :)

February 01, 2007 6:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home