I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, December 28, 2007

Miss you like crazy

Now that I look back on Christmas day I realize something was missing. It wasn’t the family, the food, the decorations, the tree, or the presents. All of the basics were there. But, as I spent the day at my sister’s home, I noticed we were living in a Canuck version of a Norman Rockwell painting.

That's what was missing: the crazy.

Every year, something always goes wrong. Sometimes it’s the food, sometimes it’s a back-handed compliment (or forward-handed insult), but whatever it is, there’s always a touch of crazy lingering in the air like a Glade Plug-In of Strawberry Fields.

Somehow I think I'm the only one who experienced this this year. As I scan through my list of blogs, and listen to some of the stories of my friends, I hear versions of Christmases that sound normal: the drinking, the fighting, the friends/family members who dislike one another, the shouting from the rooftops, and the silent meals full of icy glares from across the table.

None of that happened with my family. Everything went smoothly. We even shot the shit during both meals, and that never happens (the poo talk is normally saved for one meal, unless someone has the runs, then we talk about poo for the rest of the day).

It’s not like I have to have a bit of crazy, but it would be nice, especially during the holidays. With the fuss and frustration, there has to be a bit of release. And, what better way to have a fit than in front of family and friends during a holiday?

Sadly, I miss the crazy. Not a lot, mind you. Crazy is good in small doses, like castor oil. It’s not like it isn’t around the other 364 days of the year. But, there's a small part of me that wanted someone to freak out over something.

Wait... my father did spaz when he wanted to make soup for lunch and didn't get to since there was enough food to feed the population of Guam, and then he freaked for about five minutes because he still thought there wasn't enough food for us and the possibility of starvation was (in his mind) inevitable.

Never mind. I guess I did get my touch of crazy for this holiday, after all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You want crazy? You come to Queens, NY to meet my big, fat, annoying, psycho, judgmental, Greek family.

Guaranteed crazy. Or your money back.

December 28, 2007 9:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're invited to my place next Christmas.

Believe me there is more than enough crazy to go around!

December 28, 2007 2:46 pm  
Blogger Phronk said...

Yeah, it's just not normal without the crazy. I was lucky enough to get a bit of crazy this year. It was wonderful.

December 29, 2007 12:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home