I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Agreeing to agreeing

Most blogs have places where you can comment on the topic being posted. But, even though most of them have the "password" feature to deter bugs from posting a virus, some go one step beyond that: they moderate comments.

Usually this tactic is used by site owners to eliminate the riffraff they perceive are below their recognition.

On Blogger, there are times when Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval. Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author is shown after typing your thoughts on the current topic being discussed.

Basically, this means is if the site owner doesn’t agree with your comment, they can delete it at a moment’s whim.

That doesn’t make any sense to me. Why would you want to approve the thoughts/opinions of others? Wouldn't that eliminate the need for commenting? It’s like saying "If your comment agrees with my argument, then it’s fine. If your comment doesn’t agree with my argument, then I won’t acknowledge your comment."

It’s twisted and undeniably passive-aggressive in a pussy-like way.

If you think someone won't agree with you, do one of two things: remove the comment feature, or grow a spine and live with the fact that not everyone will always agree with you because that's the way the world works.

Note: This post is brought to you by WTF Wednesdays.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OR, we have that feature enable because we have been hit once too often by spam and crap etc that I really would rather not have posted period. disagreement with ideas no problem. some homophobic right wing neverending rant, no thank you.

February 20, 2008 1:51 am  
Blogger Chris said...

I prefer nasty comments. I enjoy the confrontation, because I always win. It's usually someone being ignorant and I'm good and putting them in their place.

What I hate are comments that say nothing at all. Or worse, "LOL"

February 20, 2008 9:10 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

i dont mind if people agree or disagree with me. most do. bring it on!

February 20, 2008 10:34 am  
Blogger john said...

Yes, I think that receiving comments whether they agree or disagree is definitely necessary--at least to help you shape/improve your own thoughts.

February 20, 2008 12:37 pm  
Blogger S said...

To clarify, I should add (from personal experience) there have been times when I pithily commented on something only to have the administrator remove it (which was odd since it was nothing mean-spirited or controversial).

February 20, 2008 1:00 pm  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

I think it's reasonable to enable comment moderation to cut down on spam.

If someone uses it to keep all comments 100% positive/agreeable, then I agree - that's stupid.

February 20, 2008 4:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frankly, I'm surprised anyone could get panties in a twist about this. Sometimes context can help, I suppose.

Mine gets activated from time to time (like now) when one of a few folks choose to stop taking whatever medication they had been on and go on complete rampages. Nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing. Just pure bile spewing and really unnerving. Ask a few people who've been through it.

Usually this consists of paragraphs of venom aimed either at me or at people/bloggers I know. For a while, I'd just delete - delete - delete whenever I happen to check on comments. Otherwise, when these insane attacks happen, I swear people would be scared away.

But, frankly, I have a job, and I figure, oh well here's a convenient feature that makes it easy for me to not even have the comments appear.

The only comments rejected are those and two where my name was accidentally mentioned (And those I explained in a friendly way it was a personal policy started because of same said unstable people. Deal with it.)

Seriously, passive-aggressive? It's always worth taking a moment to consider the that a first assumption, of why other people do things, might in fact be wrong. Otherwise you'll end up being wrong quite often.

February 21, 2008 6:39 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I think people just want to filter so that, say a friend writes something they don't want the whole world to know about, they can edit.

February 23, 2008 8:14 am  
Blogger Darin said...

I have mine on Comment Moderation cuz of a freak-ass internet stalker after he posted 57 times in ONE day on the same post. It was just full of idiocy and I refuse to let him take over my blog with his mental illness.

That's all.

February 23, 2008 8:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on that one, Steven. Although I suppose there are some good reasons, like if a puritanical moron doesn't like your, ahem - I mean my gay blog and starts leaving pathetic comments about me going to that burning hellfire place.

But so far that hasn't happened so I don't even have the annoying password letters below.

Course, it also helps that some bloggers like to actually respond to the comments.....lol

February 24, 2008 9:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home