I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Somewhat self-righteous

Looking back at the number of conversations I’ve had with people, I can’t help but notice a pattern that is unsettling. It’s not about what I’ve said and done, but how I’ve said and done it.

It’s not something that I do on purpose. In fact, it’s quite unconscious. I think I’m somewhat self-righteous without even realizing that I am.

Dictionary.com describes the term as someone who is confident of one's own righteousness, smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behaviour of others. I’m not that extreme, although the more I read the description, the more I think I fit within its parameters.

This behaviour comes into play because I live my life in a way that I won’t feel embarrassed or ashamed about my actions. The ‘pointing finger’ of judgement doesn't come into play because I expect the people I associate myself with (who are smart and bright) to act accordingly.

It doesn’t always happen that way, though. We all have barometers of behaviour, and they’re calibrated in different ways. Some of the things people do with their lives might be unappealing to me, and some of the freaky things I do with my tongue might be unappealing for others.

Will my somewhat self-righteous behaviour always be like this? Possibly. Will I continue to realize it only after the fact? Probably. Will I continue to do my tongue trick for those who are interested? Only if they pay me like all my other clients.

5 Comments:

Blogger nikoeternal.com said...

I get to pop your comment cherry *giggle* Don't judge me for it!

February 06, 2008 2:20 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Ooohhh, the tongue trick.....haven't seen that in a while. I'll take my turn right after nikoeternal.

February 06, 2008 9:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good that you can be open and honest about yourself like that...Now show us the tongue trick!

best,
a.

February 06, 2008 11:48 am  
Blogger john said...

Wow, quite a confession.

February 06, 2008 7:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not bad to be yourself.

February 06, 2008 9:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home