I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Blah to Bailey's

For some reason, I have been receiving bottle upon bottle of Bailey’s Irish Cream as gifts for years. This is strange to me. I have never told anyone I liked Bailey’s, and no one has ever seen me drink the stuff, either. Yet, that hasn’t stopped them from spending their money on something that has no use to me.

The first bottle was a nice gesture. It gathered dust in the liquor cabinet until my mother got her hands on it and lapped it up. She did the same thing to the second bottle I received. The third, fourth, and fifth bottles were all holiday gifts (namely, they came in special packages with glasses emblazoned with the Bailey’s name). They are sitting in the liquor cabinet, untouched.

One day, after rummaging through the bottles for a drink, I find the three bottles there and I wonder why anyone would want to keep on giving me the same thing.

So, I ask my mother if she wants the bottles, in return for a couple of bottles of liquor I do drink, like vodka or scotch. Thankfully, she agrees and complies with my request. It’s a good thing I know my mother likes Bailey’s; they’ll find a good home even though they’ll be empty pretty quickly.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awww...the joy of re-gifting!

Thanks for the card! xoxo!

January 29, 2008 2:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm similarly uninterested in Bailey's, but that's cause I'm a lactard. It's seems like it's more popular as a gift in winter - I bet because people associate it with coffee and, therefore, warmth.

I dunno - I get pretty warm from Vodka.

January 29, 2008 7:36 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

Ask your mom if she likes the Caramel Bailey's so I'll know what to get you for christmas next year.

January 29, 2008 7:54 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

btw... about last nite.. daate? or too late? i think i might have been a little tipsy.

January 29, 2008 7:56 am  
Blogger Matty said...

Perhaps you should have a heart to heart with the people who keep giving you Bailey's... or perhaps your mom is in cahoots with them since the Bailey's eventually comes her way... hmmmm?

January 29, 2008 9:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep the trend going by giving Bailey's to those who give it to you...See how long it lasts.

best,
a.

January 29, 2008 9:57 am  
Blogger Chris said...

Baileys: the new fruitcake.

January 29, 2008 10:12 am  
Blogger S.B. said...

Have you ever tried it? Me likey. Then again, I am half Irish.

January 29, 2008 10:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like Bailey's either. But you can come over and sample my selection of single malts anytime!

-Bruce

January 29, 2008 11:54 am  
Blogger Cardinal said...

Bailey's is kinda yucky on its own, but you should learn the art of making Mudslides or Buttery Nipples. The former is delicious and the latter is just heaven in a shot glass. I don't drink much at all, but there are a few times when you just have to indulge. With the copious amounts of Bailey's in the house, try it out. You won't be disappointed.

January 29, 2008 4:33 pm  
Blogger MadeInScotland said...

it's like the aftershave and scent I get. I mean, I liked that Obsession scent in my youth, but to get it some 18 years later from my godmother just doesn't cut it. My mother knows not to buy me scents as my EdeT requirements are exclusive.

ahoj

January 29, 2008 5:13 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

"Rummaging through the bottles for a drink".....um, er....a.....that doesn't sound very good. Anything you want to tell us? Our buddy brought us a bottle of some other kind that is yummy and delicious...Saint Brendans or something like that.

January 29, 2008 7:40 pm  
Blogger madamerouge said...

Christmas 2007 saw me receiving four bottles of Rodney Strong Chalk Hill Chardonnay (2005). I had asked for it, of course. I've already consumed two. YUM.

January 29, 2008 8:39 pm  
Blogger john said...

I find that stuff so sweet. I can't just drink it.

February 02, 2008 12:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home