I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Looky loo

In every Saturday edition of the newspaper, there’s the “Home” section which talks about trends in design/décor and real estate. As someone who appreciates both topics, I typically read this section first.

As I’m flipping through the pages, I see something that I am not accustomed to: a master suite open to an ensuite – no doors between the rooms.

The architect and/or designer who thought of this should be bludgeoned to an inch of his life with a 2X4… then shot.

Out of all the rooms in a residence, the loo should have a door. It’s the room where you can only perform one action that shouldn’t be performed in any other room. It’s the most private of private actions. No one should see what you’re doing in there because everyone knows what you’re doing in there.

Now, I’m the sort of person who likes rooms to have doors. Rooms which have no doors are called outdoors. Indoor rooms should have the option of privacy. Windows have curtains and openings should have doors.

And, if not for the issue of privacy, think about your bedroom smelling like last night’s Tex-Mex fiesta of refried beans and pork after having someone sit on the throne for 20 minutes.

14 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Perhaps they'll market the design to ex military folks who are used to communal defecation, lol.

January 28, 2008 7:02 am  
Blogger Chris said...

Or maybe it's designed with the ex-convict in mind, who should be used to crapping in the bedroom by now.

January 28, 2008 9:22 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

20 minutes? Sounds like more than a poop to me.

January 28, 2008 10:06 am  
Blogger Sooo-this-is-me said...

Eeeeeeewwww! I even totally hate a bathroom that does not have a lock on the door! That is the one place a person should be able to lock the door and do their business in peace without someone walking in!

Steven

January 28, 2008 10:31 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm....I never took you for the Modest Mouse!

January 28, 2008 10:53 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

give me a door or give me death.

i was in boot camp (and prison) for 5 months...with no doors. that was fun. good times!

January 28, 2008 11:57 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

can you get any more gross?

wait, don't answer that.

I hear someone calling uncle...

January 28, 2008 2:19 pm  
Blogger  said...

Your blog is a treat for THE EYE.

January 28, 2008 2:59 pm  
Blogger madamerouge said...

You mean the wc wasn't even in its own separate... closet? That's just wrong. It's bad enough that the bedroom would be exposed to the higher humidity levels of the bathroom. Factor in the odor issues you so eloquently mention and...

January 28, 2008 8:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a show on TV a couple of days ago where the architect built a bathroom out of clear glass right in the middle of the home.

Bet they don't get too many visitors!

January 28, 2008 8:41 pm  
Blogger Phronk said...

My house has the bathroom lockless and attached to the kitchen. Maybe the previous owners didn't have a sense of smell or something, because putting the shitter beside the food is never a good idea.

January 28, 2008 11:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may be wrong in this, but sometimes I get the feeling you go for the "shock factor". lol
But I definitely agree with ya, if a house has a bathroom that doesn't have a door, then I'm outta there!

January 28, 2008 11:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MUST. HAVE. DOOR.

We have friends that have the "open floor plan" master suite, I had to go down three flights of stairs to the guest bath... just can't sit on the loo whilst others are in the room.

January 29, 2008 1:31 am  
Blogger Matty said...

This seems to be the trend with McMansions in our area. It is disgusting - as are the cookie-cutter houses these open bathrooms are within.

January 29, 2008 9:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home