I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Who let in the paperboy?

Not too long ago, while making my way through an office building, I pass a co-worker in the hallway and tell her I’m on my way to a meeting. She scrunches her face in confusion while I walk past her. Uh, ok, I think. Maybe she didn’t hear what I was saying.

After my meeting, I enter the office and people look at me as if I’m a stranger.

“Who let in the paperboy?” asks another of my co-workers.

“Why do you say that?” I ask.

“You look like a little kid with that hat on.” I look down and take a glance at my clothes. I’m dressed casually, in a pair of brown, baby-wale cords, with a black, long sleeved t-shirt, and a black baseball cap.

But, do I look like a kid? That thought never crossed my mind until I see myself in the mirror later on in the day.

When I was in school, I was carded once when I went to buy a bottle of wine (how many underage drinkers buy Shiraz, anyway?). When I showed them my ID, they did a triple-take and asked me if that really was my age.

A few years later, the same holds true.

Luckily, I already look a few years younger than my actual age. It’s probably due to the combination of a tight frame, coupled with an innocent (at times) facial expression. If I throw on a baseball cap, I look younger still. Of course, when I open my mouth, people think I’m 4-6 years older than I am. It’s a fair trade – look young, sound old.

Hmmm… Maybe that’s the secret to looking young: wear baseball caps and stop talking altogether.

7 Comments:

Blogger about a boy said...

my ears are too big. and i have too much hair for a baseball cap to be worn properly on my head. oh well.

ill have to get by on great genes. lol.

February 21, 2008 10:16 am  
Blogger Mike said...

A photographer very crassly told me one time during a photo shoot in which I was wearing a hat that I looked like a kid in a St. Jude's commercial.

It now has to be incredibly cold before I put on a hat.

February 21, 2008 11:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People always mistake me as being my oldest sons sister.

It can be very uncomfy when his friends flirt with me. WTF!

Anyways,enjoy looking young. One day you'll be old and wrinkled like a ball sack.

February 21, 2008 12:12 pm  
Blogger nikoeternal.com said...

works for me lol

February 21, 2008 2:52 pm  
Blogger Chris said...

It's better than someone jokingly saying you're 39 and there's no way to strangle them because they told you this over the phone.

February 21, 2008 10:13 pm  
Blogger dit said...

Lucky you! It must be in the genes. Thank your parents.

February 22, 2008 4:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - I'm like you in that regard, Steven. No joke, some people, even friends, would swear I look 10 years younger than I am. Its a blessing, or is it a curse sometimes?

February 24, 2008 9:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home