I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Stand up kinda guy

It’s seven o’clock on Saturday night and I’m getting ready to go out. After three weeks and a series of phone calls and e-mails, M and I made plans to meet. It’s been hard to get something set up because we work opposite schedules: one works day, the other night.

While I’m walking around, I’m waiting for M to call, if not e-mail me. Although we did say we’d meet after dinner, location is TBD. This is what I hate when I let other people plan things: they’re indecisive. If it's up to me, I would set the schedule in stone.

Until then, I wait. And, wait some more.

It’s already 7:30 p.m. and I haven’t heard anything. Seven-thirty turns into 7:45, which then turns into eight o’clock. I check my e-mail, but there isn’t a note. I try msn, but no one is on. I look at my cell phone, but there aren’t any messages. I try to call, but there’s no answer.

This better not be happening. Not after the promises. All I asked for was 10 minutes.

With the computer on and my cell phone near me at all times, I turn on the TV and place a DVD into the player. The movie isn’t doing anything for me. Even though I watch it for an hour, I’m not paying any attention.

Fuck this, I’m going to get some wine.

Into the kitchen I go and grab a bottle of white and a tumbler. This is no time to use a proper glass, but I still won’t succumb to the cliché of taking swigs from the bottle. When the booze is poured down my throat, I begin to mellow even though I’m still angry.

But, what’s bothering me the most is that after all this time spent setting something up, I cancelled all other plans this weekend. I turned down other invites because I thought this was the one.

In the end, I spend my Saturday night waiting at home by the phone. I’m so disappointed. Disappointed that I let myself get into these situations. Disappointed that I can associate myself with people who let me down. Disappointed that I’m continually let people string me along because I think they have the best of intentions, when they don’t. But, mostly I’m disappointed that I keep on getting stood up.

Turns out, I’m a stand up kinda guy.

12 Comments:

Blogger Random Thinker said...

what kind of wine were you drinking? you leave out the important details.

As for M, any word from the hospital or morgue about M's accident which prevented M from calling or contacting you? send my sympathies to the family on their loss.

March 03, 2008 9:13 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

i really. really. really. hate it when that happens. i mean really.

i was stood up on friday.

March 03, 2008 10:06 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Stand up comedian? At least you may get paid for that. Bummer deal. REally sorry to hear about it...again. I would set it in stone and be there as planned and scheduled.

March 03, 2008 10:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no doubt you'll get some song and dance about why M couldn't make it.

that sucks. hard.

March 03, 2008 12:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Random. Otherwise forget about it and him.

March 03, 2008 3:06 pm  
Blogger Marquis said...

I have been waiting for you to ask me out and yet not an invite. Ok. granted I live somewhere else but damn! ask a out sometimes. Anyway you need to just cross him off the list. Don't even go there again with him. You deserve better.

March 03, 2008 7:02 pm  
Blogger dit said...

How awful and rude. That is so WRONG! He clearly has no respect for you, much less anyone else. If it were me, the next tide this guy called, my reply would . . . ."Your coupon for friendship has expired."

March 03, 2008 8:23 pm  
Blogger john said...

It is pretty rude of him to stand you up.
And I know this probably doesn't mean anything, but it is his loss.

March 03, 2008 9:45 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

At least you have the satisfaction of knowing you're a decent enough guy not to have blown the whole thing off after waiting for 5 minutes and going out somewhere anyway.

But yeah, it feels like this type of thing is happening to me a lot these days. Does e-communication make people think they don't really have to show up, that they're somehow not accountable because of today's interconnected, 24/7 society?

March 03, 2008 10:03 pm  
Blogger R said...

You just named my pet peeve. I let someone else make a plan, cancel or decline other offers -and then they change. I sometimes give a second chance, but NEVER a third. I'm a two strikes you're out kind of guy.

March 03, 2008 10:31 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

That would piss me off. Don't take it personally, that only makes it worse.

March 04, 2008 6:47 am  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

I agree - I really hate it when people can't just make a complete plan for an evening all at once and in advance of the day: "I'll me you on [day] at [time] at [place]. See you in three days!" Now it's all last minute, and at any moment my cell phone could stop working and the whole evening's shot. But it sounds like this M person might just be a jerk.

It's mystifying to me that someone would stand you up, cutie pie that you are, although I'm glad to see you followed my advice: "Drinking kills feelings." If you have any feelings, just drink until they go away. :-)

March 05, 2008 1:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home