I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

One handed

You never know how useful something is until you don’t have it anymore. The same thing can be said about my right hand. I never realized how important it is in my quotodien life until I couldn’t use it.

**

It starts when I wake up in the morning, after having someone sleep on my arm for most of the night. They weren’t heavy, but their head was, apparently. I didn’t move my arm because I was asleep. When I’m unconscious, I have no idea what’s going on. For all I know, my arm could’ve been cut off and thrown across the room.

But that was then and this is now, and right now, I can’t feel my arm. And since my handed is connected to my arm, I can't feel it, either.

It’s the most disconcerting feeling, not being able to use your arm, especially the dominant one. How are you going to write, use a computer mouse, pick up the phone, or flip the bird to the bitch who cut you off in traffic?

This isn’t the same as phantom limb syndrome, where many individuals who have had their limbs amputated. My arm is still there and I can see it. The thing is I can’t use it because it’s “dead” and lacks feeling. If I was Golda Mair, my arm could be raised above my head to help with lymphatic drainage, but I can’t do that for a multitude of reasons (mainly because it would still render the arm useless if it was in a sling).

So, for now, I have to be one-handed and I can’t do anything about it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally relate. After having shoulder surgery last week, my arm is in a sling. Getting voice recognition software allowed me to make this comment. Life is good.

June 18, 2008 12:24 am  
Blogger Kit said...

i kinda like it if my arm or leg falls asleep and they are completely useless for a couple of minutes. my limbs just sorta dangle there in that entire time.

you are right tho, i think that it would be awful to not be able to use an arm or a leg and i am sure i would have a really hard time adjusting to that.

June 18, 2008 4:42 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

you type pretty damn well for being one handed.

i wake up occasionally with both arms pinned beneath me...no snide remarks please...and both asleep. its really weird to be flopping around in bed like a beached fish...no snide remarks please.

June 18, 2008 11:06 am  
Blogger dit said...

Yes, about a boy is so right, I was thinking the same thing.

I find I dislike the tingling sensation that comes just after the numb limb.

Oh, in the mean time, practice with your left hand. It feels different. lol

June 18, 2008 12:44 pm  
Blogger Christopher said...

Using my left hand makes me feel like I'm cheating on myself...you should try it sometime!

June 18, 2008 3:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home