I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, September 29, 2008

High maintenance

Out of the list of adjectives people use to describe me, the one that always bothers me (beside skinny) is when they say I'm high maintenance. To me, being high maintenance conjures an image in my mind of someone who takes forever to get ready, is always standing in front of a mirror, and is so prissy if a hair is out of place.

The description couldn't be more wrong: I don't take any time to get ready, the only time I look in the mirror is when I wash my hands in the loo (the room, not the bog), and my hair always looks like shit.

What I think they mean (but can't put into words), is that I know what I want, I know what I like, and I know what works and what doesn't. That isn't being high maintenance, that's being practical. For years, I've whittled down the crap, and streamlined everything. That includes my morning routine and the way I run my life.

And if I really was high maintenance, could I get ready in 10 minutes? I don't bloody think so.

9 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

I thought high maintenance meant someone who had to be reassured all the time, had to have their point of view listened to and agreed to all the time, someone, you know, whose self esteem needed maintenance.

September 29, 2008 6:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your becomming meaner and angerier :(

September 29, 2008 8:31 am  
Blogger Sooo-this-is-me said...

I always thought high maintenance could mean both things, someone who was always in the mirror or a bit like what Torn said, only not being that way from low self esteem but from being self centered. To me that would be a person that wants every relationship to be all about them and the other partner would always be put second in their needs. I guess it has a different meaning for each person.

September 29, 2008 9:48 am  
Blogger Chris said...

Torn has a good take on it.

To me, high maintenance means a person is annoyingly and unrealistically self-centered, neurotic, delusional, indecisive, stubborn, requires constant hand-holding and is a general pain in the ass. These types are best avoided (and secretly mocked).

I don't think they are talking about how long it takes you to get your hair done. It has more to do with a person's attitude, not their physical appearance.

September 29, 2008 10:40 am  
Blogger Chris said...

And for the record, I don't know you well enough to say you're high maintenance.

September 29, 2008 10:41 am  
Blogger Franciscus van Munster said...

I think "their" definition of high maintenance is more correct than yours ;-)

September 29, 2008 3:44 pm  
Blogger dit said...

High maintenance to me means requires allot of attention. Do you require allot of attention? lol Be honest.

September 29, 2008 5:33 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

You? High maintenance? I would never have guessed that!

September 30, 2008 10:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think high maintenance means you are always having to have your say/way. I have a brother who is like that. You ask many people where they want to eat most say something that keep things open, but he has an opinion on everything. Big pain in the ass. I don't think it has anything to do with getting ready. That my take on it.

September 30, 2008 7:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home