I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Candy cane

There's a small candy cane in the kitchen cupboard, next to the instant coffee. It's been there for several months and I've never had the heart to throw it out. The reason is because D gave it to me.

After D moved away, I had nothing to remind me of our time together. No pictures, no nothing. The only thing I had was a candy cane. I kept it as a momento, of sorts. We haven't forgotten about the other; we've been in touch. Whenever we're on the phone, we make plans that are doomed to dissipate, but it doesn't matter.

Today, as I hold the candy cane between my fingers, I wonder what I'm going to do with it: keep it, or eat it. If I keep it, it will inevitably be thrown out as it melts into a gooey mess. If I eat it, I'll have nothing to remember D by.

Even though I can't stand a gooey mess (and the cleaning that goes along with it), I decide to put aside the red-and-white swirly confection. I'm not in the mood. Whether I'll ever eat it, I don't know. It will probably disappear, in some form. But, what I do know is I won't forget the time D gave it to me.

10 Comments:

Blogger Random Thinker said...

just throw the damned candy cane out...

you can always get another one, especially after christmas - they end up 50% or 75% off anyway.

December 17, 2008 9:02 am  
Blogger WTWTG said...

options:

1. give it to a child or homeless person

2. hang it on a department store or downtown xmas tree

3. grind it up and snort it :)

December 17, 2008 11:13 am  
Blogger S.B. said...

I say mail it to him and tell him to bring it back to you the next time you see him.

December 17, 2008 4:25 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Lick it. Lick it good.

December 17, 2008 4:53 pm  
Blogger Peter said...

Toss it in the bin. Each candy cane you see will remind you of D.

December 17, 2008 5:11 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

The weird thing is, I thing that you should keep it and let it get lost. I think that it will help in the long run in some conveluted way.

December 17, 2008 6:37 pm  
Blogger My adventures said...

it's not like the memory will go away if you eat the damn thing or if you toss it out, it's just a thing, memories are in the heart, not the candy cane

December 18, 2008 2:13 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I kept a piece of sara poop on the deck for three whole weeks, reasoning it was the last "piece" of her. Then spouse told me that was enough and chucked it.

December 18, 2008 4:18 pm  
Blogger JCLL said...

I like WTWTG's idea. Give it to a homeless child. You will spread the joy you had with D, by making that child happy, and so honor him.....That was my serious side for 5 minuts

December 19, 2008 1:40 am  
Blogger Brand New W said...

it's nice that you have something sticky and sweet to remember him by.

December 19, 2008 11:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home